Skip to main content

1418 Mercedes Benz Top Road Speed

More
13 years 3 months ago #43731 by Fuller-Vit
:D :D :D Angel overdrive was a pretty handy gear in the ole 1418 just had to remember not to step on the exhaust brake though.
Doin that would make rissole suck the seat cover in :D :D

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #43732 by scrubchomper
I think mileage might actually be correct. I bought the truck of a horse stud in the next town and I can honesty say i bought it off a little old lady. Ha Ha Ha. Jan may have been a young lady 42 years a go when her father first purchased the truck to transport their horse to different country shows and the like.
Whilst cleaning the cab out I found a reciept for fan belts dated 3 april 1970 issue to the horse stub and there where photo's all over the wall of different horse with the truck in the background so I'm incline to think they did own it from new. I don't think you would do a million miles carting horse around plus running a farm.
I guess I will just put a CD player in the old girl and enjoy the ride.

More
13 years 3 months ago #43733 by kenny-mopar
at least the mercedes straight 6 motors were made to last .. sort of like a VW beetle nothing much mechanical breaks because theres not much power to damage things . . they are great trucks though

More
13 years 3 months ago #43734 by Bruce99
I pushed my cab-over 1418 all over this country & got sick of the louie's & acco's going past me while I was sitting on 90kmh........ until I put a RTO610 in it.
Used to be kit you could get for the conversion.
Clutchplate with the right spline, bellhousing, airlines & button & speedo conversion updater.
70MPH downhill through the Pilliga....... :D :D

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
13 years 3 months ago #43735 by 70499
This thread is useless without pics ;) 8-) ;D :P

&&1959 Mercedes L319

More
13 years 3 months ago #43736 by kenny-mopar
last august took the mercedes and isuzu to melb both loaded both same size motors (mercedes 5.6 litre,isuzu 5.7) both turbo both mid 80s model . . unfortunally i had to drive the mercedes cause the other driver couldnt use the 8 speed ZF box.. i was chasing isuzu tailights all nite (and loosing sight of them on anything that looked like a hill). . the only time i wasnt a hindrance to other road users was in the 50km/h zone going through holbrook. . the isuzu used a lot less fuel too . . . wonder why the japanese have the smaller truck market well covered

More
13 years 3 months ago #43737 by scrubchomper
Hi I just found a thread on here title Mercedes Trucks - pic. Dated 08.06.2010
A member Named Prodrive made the following statement:
Ah we cwazy people us who like Benz's hey!!
yes, can anyone tell me the difference between a Hi torque 1418 and a normal one?
My dad could never tell the difference and he had heaps of them..
There was apparantly some "bit" you could break off the rack on the injector pump, that would allow the poor old 1418 to rev to about 3000 revs, I've heard that they would actually really get up and fly then. Truth? Don't know. There was a fellow in Campbelfield, Melbourne (near the old Southern Cross Transport Terminal, anyone remember that?) called Cyril Anderson, he had a small fleet of LPS1418 car carriers, green in color, pretty scruffy I think. I remember he'd change the windscreens to a split windscreen setup because he was sick of paying for expensive Mercedes windscreens! His trucks apparently flew, they would do 70mph so I was told as a young fella. He was known as a bit of a genius with the 1418's. I think his son Brian still has a workshop, north of Melbourne somewhere.

Is this workshop still around?
If not how would I find out what mod's to make so as to get this kind of speed?

More
13 years 3 months ago #43738 by Bruce99
I told you....... RTO610 will do it. (downhill)

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #43739 by Swishy

ScrubChomper
Gudday M8

Let it B clear
M kno nutn bout them jermin jiggrz
but a donk th@ is set to run happily @ 2400 rpm iz no way gunna last a looong time ifn U gunna upit to 3000 rpm
U may need a duble overdrive cogbox or a joey box to up the Rd speed

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

any updated pix of the tray U decided on for the beast??
Thanx in advance

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 3 months ago #43740 by scrubchomper
Hi Mate
Yep I will post some photo's of the new tray. I went with wood at the end as I got the lots for $800. 25mm hard wood planks (47 in all) on 1inch x 2 inch runners.
The steel was going to cost around $1400 so I went the cheaper option.

i think your right about the 3000revs. I don't think the old girl would handle it to well.

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds