Skip to main content

1418 Mercedes Benz Top Road Speed

More
12 years 8 months ago #43781 by prodrive
Scrubby, in the ideal world I'm pretty sure you would do BOTH!!! ;D ;D
Then you get the good ratios with the 10 speed Roadranger, (but you need to get an overdrive box not a direct box if you want a speed increase) plus the good full air brakes on the Eaton diff...
But you're right, its a lot of work...
If you do a good job fitting the Eaton diff, no one would know that you've changed it anyway, as far as I know there is no cutting or welding involved? (BIDSTBC..)
My two bobs worth?
Grab the Benz diff, stick it in, don't worry about the rest. I've been told that in reality, Benz's work best with the original box. And I've driven one quite a few miles with a roadranger fitted, and I can definitely say, it seemed no faster....slow.... still didn't like pulling top gear anyway!
But the extra ten or so k's from the 54MPH diff means you can toddle along at almost traffic speed, and it's bearable. Wheras the 48mph diff is going to slowly drive you crazy...slowly...going... cwazy... :-X :-X :-X

here are some pics of mine with the Eaton, it appears to be still the same ratio as a Benz diff anyway, cos my truck is still slow! But it's OK, it's a 1418 after all....they never were a racing truck.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 8 months ago #43782 by Swishy

Scrubby
Gudday M8
a 13 speed Road range rshould do it
RTO9513
R= RoadRanger
T= Twin Countershaft
O= Overdrive
95= 950 ft lb torque Capcaity
13= 13 forward gears

run them thru u're calc n C wot it spitz out

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 8 months ago #43783 by scrubchomper
You better check these figure for me. If they are right I might get a 13 speed road ranger, adog trailor and start driving interstate in the old 1418.

(2200 x 19.9)
(168 x (4.875) x (0.62))

86.2MPH
139km

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 8 months ago #43784 by Swishy

Need a bluddy good down hill, Tail wind n the tide in u're favor to max out with th@ jiggr
we can't have u burn n up the bitchumen
RT009513 may B a bit Rare the single O/D may B more around RT09513
so count on the .87 O/D
= 61.44 mph / 98.88 kph
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 8 months ago #43785 by Buc
Hey Scrubbie,

Any chance of gettin a pic or three up of that old service truck of Greenfreights?

Tryin to track down a bit of history on an old benz that was used to cart pulp back in the early 70's.

Might be the same jigger? :)

Regards, BUC.

More
12 years 8 months ago #43786 by scrubchomper
Here u go the Greeb frieght service truck.

12 years 8 months ago #43787 by

Don't want to upset any-one, but 1418's had a 48 mph log truck diff as well. And a 10 overdrive still wouldn't give you 100kph. A number 5 eaton diff [KM bedford best] would give you about 94 kph with the 5 speed in it[still quick enough to get knocked off in the day] but it would lose the ability to climb the Adelaide hills with 24 ton on a tri. Dragging around the concrete wall I would let it drop to 800 rpm in low first, then push the starter button. That gave it just enough power to drag the tri around the corner. Nev.

g'day nev i've gotta ask ya...how was the anal pucker factor when you were down that low? those earlier 1418's had a ratchet style handbrake and you would hope to heaven that your trailer brakes were up to the task (don't forget 24 tons..nasty incline) i reckon i couldn't do it too often.

cheers

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #43788 by Alpal
Hi all.
I have a few pics of my old 1418 I owned many years ago.
Started with it as a prime mover in the early 80s with TNT Country Express Westall finished as a crane truck early 90s.with Mannway Transport Melb.
Often wonder where the old girl finished up.
Can someone tell me how to post pictures on here please.

Al
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Alpal.

More
12 years 8 months ago #43789 by 70499

Hi all.
I have a few pics of my old 1418 I owned many years ago.
Started with it as a prime mover in the early 80s with TNT Country Express Westall finished as a crane truck early 90s.with Mannway Transport Melb.
Often wonder where the old girl finished up.
Can someone tell me how to post pictures on here please.

Al

Here are a few pictures Al forward me to post on this forum............

Cheers,
Brad

A couple of pics of my old faithfull 1418.

Started off with it at TNT Country Express running Melb. Albury overnight.

Then after the 1979 Razorback Blockade started doing Vic. local/country work with the now def unked Mannway Transport.

Later converting it to a crane truck ,still with Mannway.

&&1959 Mercedes L319

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #43790 by Alpal
Thanks Brad.
Very much appreciated. :)

Great memories of a very faithfull and reliable old girl. :) :)
Appologies for the quality, but they were all pre digital and have spent many years in an album.

An explanation of some of the pics.
The one with the CIG tank in it was taken at the Blackwood Hotel in Vic.
The guy on the tray Phil Wenn, he was CIGs top tank man, when CIG sold the Beaconsfield depot and Elgas took over he went to Cootes Tankers and to my knowledge is still there.
With crane out is hanging rail track for overhead crane at Creeks Metals Bayswater new factory.
Picked up new 62ft extendable tri from Marshal Lethlean Dandenong.

load of Kelloggs to Coles Moorabbin.

Loading jumbo pan at Smith and Nephew Clayton, full load of cotton balls for Sydney weight was 200 kgs.and most of that was the boxes they were packed in. ;D
Al.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Alpal.

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds