Skip to main content

Old F series cab on Patrol chassis???

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #6021 by Tigga
G'day all.
I've always wanted to have an old f series ute and am looking at using my GQ patrol running gear and chassis as a bases to mount it on. Firstly I'm not certain as to the size of the older f series from 48 through to 60's but is ideally what I'd like to use.
My father owns a 74 F250 Canadian highboy 4x4 and has had it since I was born. Hence the love of old ford 4x4's.
I'm also interested in the step side rear but may be alot of dramas with length etc.
The reason for using the Patrol is because I've spent a fair amount on the motor and running gear as it's all been either rebuilt or replace, but the body has seen better days. (years of 4wding)
Hope this doesnt sound like too crazy :D an idea but if I can keep the dream I can work on it! Thanks in advance, Mick

Wanting new project!!!
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by Tigga.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #6022 by Tigga
Sorry if this isnt up to size of a truck but have had a hard time finding ute specifis forum. Thanks if anyone can help,or even point me in the right direction! :-[

Wanting new project!!!

More
15 years 5 months ago #6023 by Eddy
:-? hooo boy ... !

you just beggin for a world of grief on that track.

If you want a 4x4 F100, get a 4x4 F100

There is so much that doesn't fit, so much that needs to be built ... so much ...

Ford have been building 4WDs for a while now, got everything you need in one neat package.
Can go right back into the sixties for almost bolt on to a Ford 4x4 chassis.

Just keep it Ford, you'll be much happier ... and younger by the time the job is done. ;)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
15 years 5 months ago #6024 by Eddy

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
15 years 5 months ago #6025 by Tigga
Thanks for the heads up on this. I was hoping to keep coils etc but if it's in the too hard basket I'll do some more homework. Either way I want to do up a 48-late 60's ford pickup on a 4wd chassis. Have seen crazy ones in the states that are running huge tyres. (Petersens 4wd magazines) I dont want to go that nuts but some thing a bit different to all the lowered pickups. Thanks again!
Thanks also for the links Cheers Mick

Wanting new project!!!

More
15 years 4 months ago #6026 by IHScout
Hey Tigga,
You might also want to look at www.4wdaction.com.au/forum there are a few hard core 4x4 builders on there and the American site www.pirate4x4.com is full of hard core crazies, but they aren't too proud to offer advice to us Aussies occaissionally.

Dennis

More
15 years 4 months ago #6027 by atkipete
Dont mind the F series trucks, (there is even a new book on them just come out) but you are going to have awful grief getting it registered if it is on a Patrol chassis. Just my two bobs worth.

More
15 years 4 months ago #6028 by Tigga

Hey Tigga,
You might also want to look at www.4wdaction.com.au/forum there are a few hard core 4x4 builders on there and the American site www.pirate4x4.com is full of hard core crazies, but they aren't too proud to offer advice to us Aussies occaissionally.

Cheers mate I've been on 4wd action forum for a couple of years and also another 4wd forum but they dont deal with the oldschool trucks. My patrol is fairly modified (6'lift lockers etc) just getting over the extreme wheelin and have always wanted a early ford ute to do up but am sick of seeing lowered utes (no offence to those that do it just my likes!) May look at starting from scratch. Just with later model chassis and drivettrain etc I thought rego is easier? mainly have to organise body mounts etc for the cab to suit. Plenty of homework to do, I dont give up easily!

Wanting new project!!!

More
15 years 4 months ago #6029 by IHScout
There is a guy up in Bribane who has done a couple of interesting build ups using International Scout chasis and drive trains. I remember an article a couple of years ago in 4WD monthly featuring a Merecedes Sedan body mounted on a Scout 4WD chasis. He had it registered so must have got it past the inspectors.

Dennis

Dennis

More
15 years 4 months ago #6030 by Tigga

There is a guy up in Bribane who has done a couple of interesting build ups using International Scout chasis and drive trains. I remember an article a couple of years ago in 4WD monthly featuring a Merecedes Sedan body mounted on a Scout 4WD chasis. He had it registered so must have got it past the inspectors.

Dennis

Cheers the old scout are a nice truck I started 4wding with a mate with one and we called him skidmark because the arse kept trying to over take him on big hill decents :). it had the 345 v8 in it and slightly modified running 33's 8-). Got plenty of time so wil look into it further and bounce of some of the older guys in the game! Thanks again, Mick

Wanting new project!!!

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds