Skip to main content

Correct material for Shackle bushes???

More
15 years 3 months ago #6852 by berntd
Hello,
I can't get the correct shackle bush kits for my mercedes at the moment.
I need to turn some bushes but I am unsure what material is suitable.

Choises are
Brass, Bronze, Phosphor Bronze Aluminium Bronce AB1 AB2.

Anyone know?

Regards
Bernt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6853 by GM Diesel
Bernt,
Bush's I recently made I used Phosphor Bronze.
Most of the Pommy stuff used Phosphor Bronze.
You can also use Ertylite TX which is a self lubricating plastic. We use it for all our pulley bushes. You buy it in bar stock form and machine in a lathe as you would bronze.
Amount of miles your going to do with it you could use brass also.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6854 by berntd
Hello

Ok, I managed to get some PB1 material yesterday.
Next challenge is turing the bushes.
Unfortunatley I don't have a 40mm adjustable reamer so the correct ID will be difficult to achive after they have been pressed in.

Regards
Bernt

15 years 3 months ago #6855 by
Hi Bernt, PB 1 is an excellent choice. Now when your turning the bushes, do the INSIDE first and make sure you allow at least 2 thous oversize, this is 2 thous over the size of the pin your gunna shove into it.

This oversize I/D will be taken care of, when you then turn the outside to 1 thous oversize. Make sure you use a tele gauge for the inside diameter of the hanger your going to shove the bush into.

So when you shove it all together the pin will only have about a thous clearance to allow the grease to be pushed into that gap that you have allowed.

For chrikies sake, do not go TOO small on the inside diameter, or when you shove the bush in, you'll never get the pin in.
If you go too big on the I/D, then go that bit bigger on the outside diameter, and if your lucky then this will normally compress it down to the specs you want.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 3 months ago #6856 by Andy Wright
Good advice, Greenie, and well explained.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 3 months ago #6857 by berntd
Hi Greenie,

That was a good post!
Thank you very much.
I just obtained the correct telescopic gauge yesterday so now I can start on this job on the weekend.

Not being a real pro on the turning of things, I am now wondering if I should cut the material to length first and then machine it or machine it first and part it off last. My lathe headstock and chuck ID are not large eought to take the OD of the material so I would have to use a fixed steady for the second option.

Objective: by Sunday, at least one bush will be made and fitted.
I'll see how I go...

Kind regards
Bernt

15 years 3 months ago #6858 by
Hi Bernt, DO NOT cut to length first, cut the bronze a little longer so that there is a bit for the 3 jaw to hang onto, this way you do both the inside and then the outside, WITHOUT removing it from the chuck.

OK, there will be a bit of wastage of material, but, the bush will be both parallel on the outside O/D to the inside I/D.

If you do it, I/D first and then take it out of the jaws, bet you wont ever get it lined up true again.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 3 months ago #6859 by berntd
Thanks you very much. I understand the reasoning 8-)
Regards
Bernt

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds