Skip to main content

Drag Link removal..

More
15 years 3 months ago #6860 by duncan_m
Drag Link removal.. was created by duncan_m
Hi Guys,

Bedford J3.. need to change the drag link.

I've jacked up the drivers side, removed the wheel for access. Removed the nuts off both ends of the drag link and I can't for the life of me get it off.. I've had a jolly good swing at the pitman arm end with the nut still on but backed right off.. it just wont budge.

I'm picking up one of those ball joint removal forks later today and I'm considering jacking the suspension back up as perhaps the hanging suspension is locking the drag link in?

Any other thoughts before this turns into a real dogs breakfast?

With thanks,

Duncan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6861 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Drag Link removal..
Duncan,

What ever you do dont belt the nut you have backed off on the thread.
You'll bugger it.
Stick a decent lever over the drag link and behind the pitman and lean on it with a fair bit of pressure then give the eye on the pitman a good belt with a decent weight hammer. Most times it will come first whack and the certainly the second. If you dont use a decent weight hammer you will bash away all day and wont get anywhere.

Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #6862 by duncan_m
Replied by duncan_m on topic Re: Drag Link removal..

Duncan,

What ever you do dont belt the nut you have backed off on the thread.
You'll bugger it.
Stick a decent lever over the drag link and behind the pitman and lean on it with a fair bit of pressure then give the eye on the pitman a good belt with a decent weight hammer. Most times it will come first whack and the certainly the second. If you dont use a decent weight hammer you will bash away all day and wont get anywhere.

Barry

Barry,

Sounds like sage advice.. I have replacement nuts and, as you said, I've pretty much buggered the one thats on there :)

I'll give it a go tonight.. I had thought of getting a lever on the drag link with the pitman arm as the pivot point.. thanks!

Duncan.
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by duncan_m.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6863 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Drag Link removal..
Dunc,

Some say its abit of a rough way of getting them off by belting the eye but I bet 90% of mechs do it this way instead of with the forky thingys....well the ones I know do it this way and I always have.
Maybe its a WA thing :D We are after all apparently half a century behind the rest of the country.

Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6864 by duncan_m

Dunc,

Some say its abit of a rough way of getting them off by belting the eye but I bet 90% of mechs do it this way instead of with the forky thingys....well the ones I know do it this way and I always have.
Maybe its a WA thing :D We are after all apparently half a century behind the rest of the country.

Barry

Sounds like it'll work!

I meant to say "I hadn't thought of getting a lever on the drag link..."

Dunc.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 3 months ago #6865 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Drag Link removal..
DunCan
GuddayM8
When U wollop the tie rod end the pitman arm is springing n absorbing the shock from the FB Hammr
wot U need is to place a hyd jack under pitman arm and apply a bit of lift as close as possable to the tie rod end with out tuching it
this will give the striking blow a solid object to hit
we use nuther nut of same thread n keep the castleated nut to use again if all else fails u can turn the castleated nut upside down n wollop th@

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 3 months ago #6866 by duncan_m
Thanks Barry and Swishy..

Its all sorted. I picked up a ball joint fork and a couple of good whacks with that and it popped.. I can see that its probably not the best solution for removing a drag link that has to be put back on afterwards though as it does damage the boot. So I've noted both your methods for your future reference. :)

All that slop in the steering is gone now :)

Cheers, Duncan

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds