Skip to main content

Dude, where's my handbrake??

More
15 years 3 months ago #6898 by JimmyDodge
G'day learned truck people,
I have a question, where or what should be the handbrake on my Dodge D5N 700?
The manual says all D5N's have an "orscheln type " handbrake under the dash. That looks like a cable operated handbrake that you screw the knob on the end of the handle to adjust the slack in the cable.
The service manual says that either a drum or disc type brake is fitted but omits to say what model had what type of brake fitted.
Another thing that was strange ( to me anyway ) when my son was parking it for me he accidentally knocked the trailer brake control and the rear wheels locked up, is this normal or some act of bodgery?
As most of you would know it says on the control " not for parking"
It also has a tractor protection valve which is not connected to anything.
The only other thing is what seems to be a bracket on the back of the Road ranger tranny.

My truckie neighbour thought it probably should have some kind of air operated park brake as it has air over hydraulic brakes, also of course there is no lever fitted under the dash.
So now I am more confused than ever...Any ideas anyone?
regards Harleigh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6899 by kennymopar2
ive never had a full air detroit powered dodge ..but i thought the park brake would be a pull or pull type "button" control ..im guessing the rear axles are the same as what other trucks use(rockwell S H H D ) ..therefor maybe see what type of handbrake system they are using

More
15 years 3 months ago #6900 by Sarge
Harleigh, the happy snap looks like the mounting bracket for the tail shaft hand brake drum on my acco. A common feature to lots of trick of the day. A two or three inch drum mounts on the gearbox output shaft, the tail shaft flange bolts inside mine, the brake nad is cable operated and wraps around the drum. Some dodges had the over centre lever mounted by two bolts side by side at the front and one at the after end, slung under the dash, I think its likely yours had one of these prior to its modifications. Not a great thing for parking on anything that is not flat ground.

Good luck

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #6901 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dude, where's my handbrake??
Sarge has nailed it. The orscheln-type handbrake is a mechanical drum-type brake, with an over-centre operating lever, that has a screw-up knob for quick and easy adjustment. Often found on many forklifts, and common on the Dodges and Inters of the 60's ..
The drum and lining is usually a common-as-bums standard size drum and standard girlock/wagner-lockheed/whatever-they-call-themselves-nowadays, lining and shoe ..
It's very rare to have air-operated handbrakes on the smaller trucks (lower than 38 tonne Prime Movers) in the 60's and 70's .. although my 1980 "E" series 3 tonne Bedford actually has one. It's a maxibrake style of handbrake, it takes air pressure to release it.
Nick off down to your local truck wreckers and give them the truck model, and the gearbox model, and they should be able to help ya out. Cheers - Ron.

www.orschelnproducts.com/products/controls/parking-brake-levers (click on the headings below "hand levers" to see parts diagrams of the lever mechanisms)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 3 months ago #6902 by Swishy

JiminyDodge
GuddayM8

RE:it says on the control " not for parking"
Spose technically it shouldn't B used for parking
But is very reliable
Providing it is used with the primover parkbrake applied
the engine is left running
the trailer control is charged
we use the above princible all the time when loading on an incline
as u could safely park a truck on an incline
but when u start loading, the shakeing n increase in load can make a truck start rolling
so for added safty we pull the trolley lever down n leave engine running to maintain air pressure

RE:It also has a tractor protection valve which is not connected to anything
Sounds like the beast has been gutted
the tractor protection valve is there to control the brakes to the trailer
it basically turns the air on/off to the trailer
SUPPLY Line charges the airtank/s on trailer
CONTROL Line sends a application of the trailer brakes to the breakaway valve mounted @ or near the air tank on trailer th@ regulates the air to B dumped from air tank to brake boosters

cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 3 months ago #6903 by Sarge
Harleigh, let me know if you want the bits to re fit one, I will ask the blokes at the wreckers. They have the whole kit and kaboodle

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds