My 1958 Dodge

More
11 years 9 months ago #86482 by slantie
Replied by slantie on topic Re: My 1958 Dodge
Harry - according to my records:

Made between 1958 and 1959
Starting serial no. 233C -1
Closing serial no. 233C - 284

Yours is 233C - 2 - 250 - I can't figure out the third no. ? 250?? is this the body no.?? If so it means it was made in 1959.

TE1 = 6 cylinder sidevalve 250 cubic inches 4 speed box
3 7/16 bore X 4 1/2 stroke

GMV 7,500

Wheel base = 133 inches

Hope this helps? :)

Slantie 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86483 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: My 1958 Dodge
Thanks Slantie

All good except the Vehicle ID plate says GCM of 8000lbs. I will use that if I ever make it to the Licensing Bay. It is number 250 according to the plate.

Two trips so far just to get it down, now for the spare parts which is a complete truck in itself plus what looks to be an extra diff, however I fear the engine is seized. That is another trip. The spare parts is an even earlier model with a split windscreen. Apparently it started life at Murray Bridge in South Aus and has only done about 70,000 miles. Might have to look at options here.

Cheers

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #86484 by doc
Replied by doc on topic Re: My 1958 Dodge
hi fatbob . I've got a 1960 233 dodge . if your looking for a diff good luck ! I blow mine in to lots of little bits about 18 months ago . Had a hell of a job finding them . found one in the south east of S.A ran hot . After 4 months of begging I got one from CMV Adelaide ,had to buy the whole truck . I'd ask after it 20 year ago , boy sitting out in the weather did it no favours but what I was after ran fine . If you don't want a duel wheels I would run a dana rear end out of a At4/D5N . bigger and better brakes easy to up date the crown wheel and pinion to highway speed . I sold a D5N twin cab with a 3.8-1 diff in about four months ago great as a car no good for towing to tall 90 km/h in third gear . on 700/16'' tyres . I would think the 4.1-1 would give a good top end and power.
The number on the chassie run as 233 = 2 ton 133 inch wheel base : C = series 2 -250 = the number made . The other thing to look out for is it a P type motor which had the 313 bell housing , fly wheel and starter motor . not the Kew starter as you would think . the 8000 lbs is right for this model . I replaced my 251 Kew with a 318 hemi, 4 speed from a D5N a bit tight around the fire wall 5mm .Took it to Melbourne last month with a 30 foot gooseneck behind werribee to mallala 9 hours + 2 hours of stops to let horses have a walk . A little upset I had to change out of top twice pullin up the hills , but great fun driving the beast . :)
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by doc.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86485 by FatBob103
G'day Doc

Don't think I will be looking for any more diffs as it would appear that I have three now, also have ten wheels so duals on the back wont be an issue - could build myself a trailer if I wanted. Once I get the spare parts down to the block I will take a full inventory and start work.

Could be interuppted a bit though as a guy has just given me a Massey Ferguson 175 to play with as well. So now I have one and a half Dodges, one E27N Fordson P6 and the MF to distract me.

Cheers

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #86486 by doc
Replied by doc on topic Re: My 1958 Dodge
My old beast . I think DODGE first , tractor's later ;D
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by doc.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 9 months ago #86487 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: My 1958 Dodge
Big Sin Bin U got there

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 9 months ago #86488 by FatBob103
Definately the Dodge will be first.
The MF 175 will probably be put to work.
The P6 Fordson has been a work in progress for about ten years so it is used to sitting around.
Doc's Dodge is the model I really wanted because it is the same as the one my father sold on me about thirty years ago. (Wasn't his to sell but I only found out about it after he had put it in the clearing sale!!) :-X

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds