Skip to main content

HELP needed please! Pulling Bedford TA2 brake hub

More
11 years 8 months ago #92822 by Chocs
It will be stuck on the taper the way it was designed to be.

You will pour diesel on it till the cows come home...
More often than not, heat will bugger the job up..

As discussed earlier..
A bit of weight on the 'chain jack'
A good stand under the axle section of the hub
Someone holding a good shaped and sized drift
A decent hit to the drift with an appropriate sized sledge with the right man swinging it!

Set the job up right...
it'll come off Sammy... ;)

chocs 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #92823 by Bugly
Sammy, what they all said. Leave the jack and chain under plenty of tension and you might hear a big "bang" about 3.00am when it finally lets go.

And most importantly, consider the landing ground. Be a helluva shame for the drum to come loose, fly off the taper, and shatter on the concrete floor!

Later edit ... I'm probably a bit dumb with the previous suggestion, because you would have left the retaining nut and washer on the axle for the jack to push against. :-[

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Bugly.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92824 by JBran
Had the same problem with my commer. We just used a couple of tyre levers either side of the drum and a large solid steel bar to level it, and tapped it with a small sledge, and the stuck drum eventually came loose. It had sat through a couple of floods and so the pad had expanded and made the drum stick. It disintegrated as soon as it was touched

More
11 years 8 months ago #92825 by sammygt
Hi guys,

Well I'm feeling a bit defeated with this job at the moment.
An old mechanic mate who was about when these things were new came around on Saturday with any oxy set and hydraulic puller. I was feeling pretty confident when he arrived ;)
First we wound on his puller and got that as tight as we could. No movement, so Mike went ahead and got her red hot around the taper, still nothing. We positioned a heavy jack stand to the under side of the taper and struck a massive drift with a log splitter from the top. Nothing. Just to make sure we re tried my hydraulic jack & chain method pumped up hard and gave her a few more blows. Didn't budge!!! Mike reckons she's on there for good. I'm still hopefull!

In a few weeks I've gotta move the line of cars out from behind the Beddy, so when I do that I think I might roll her into the street, chain one end of the diff to a parked car & try and pull off the hub with the 4WD in low range.
It's all I can think to do other than take the diff out and replace it with another. This is the high ratio highway diff though so I really want to keep it.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I have any luck. I've never seen anything so bloody stuck though!

Thank you all for taking the time to make suggestions, it's been great.

Cheers,
Sam.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92826 by jeffo
Don't go too big with the drift, an oversize drift will just absorb your slog energy as I found out.
Something in the order of 1" diameter will be heaps.
Weld on a bit of looped 1/4" bar so a mate can hold it steady.
Not sure about the log splitter either, how heavy is it?
A 14lb sledge hammer with the right bloke on the handle is a fierce bit of gear, but you've really got to swing it.
I couldn't remove my track's master pin. Finally got the trackman out, he chucked my massive 2" dolly, got me to hold his 3/4" dolly while he took aim.
One BIG hit...........gone.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92827 by sammygt
You probably loosened it up for him though hey ;)

That's pretty interesting about the drift size. A really big sledge would no doubt be a better tool than the log splitter, but I broke the handle on the sledge so it was all I had on hand at the time.

11 years 8 months ago #92828 by
Am i missing something here.

Looking at the above picture you are pushing on the centre of the axle which is the part you are trying to pull off.
How do these attach as the studs cannot be removed or they will hit the drum so somewhere they must split apart, ? is the axle held in from the back like on a holden diff.

Trevor

More
11 years 8 months ago #92829 by gilly
Hi Sammygt, Bunnings have a reasonably cheap LPG Blowtorch with an electronic lighter, (yellow disposable fuel cell).
I have one that I use for making up battery leads etc, used it on a C160 Harmonic balancer the other day, worth having it in your tool kit in the shed. Cheaper than oxy, follow the advice given, then give it some heat from the LPG blowtorch, who knows what may happen??

More
11 years 8 months ago #92830 by bigcam
A bit of heat can sometimes help, though be aware that the jack is a pressure vessel, so be carefull.

Sammy, that looks like it is only about a 5 ton jack, you can't really get much pressure with a jack, even a 10 ton jack is bugger all, a 3/4 or 1" fine threaded bolt on a fabricated puller will give you heaps more leverage than a Jack.

Jacks are really just meant for lifting things.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92831 by bigcam
Trevor, they are a bit different to what you are thing off, the end of the axle is a taper with a big woodruff key and a nut and lock washer holds it all together.

Am i missing something here.

Looking at the above picture you are pushing on the centre of the axle which is the part you are trying to pull off.
How do these attach as the studs cannot be removed or they will hit the drum so somewhere they must split apart, ? is the axle held in from the back like on a holden diff.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds