Skip to main content

A3-59D DODGE

More
10 years 1 month ago #102038 by Country Steve
Replied by Country Steve on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Also I have two Service Manuals............1 for a 59A and 1 for a 59C and both say that the Rear Wheels bearings run in grease BUT in both my trucks rear wheel bearing lubrication is from Diff Oil down the axle tube.

Sorry Dazza I meant to add that I think our truck was a 1960 model ex P.M.G. and was fited with 16 inch wheels. I can recall helping dad change a rear axle oil seal and the bearing /axles were lubed by diff oil.
Cheers

38 Fargo Ute - Cab chassis / Tray back&&58 AP2 Wayfarer Ute&&60 AP3 Wayfarer Ute&

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #102039 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Looking good Dazza.
How did you go with the windscreen ?
Have you got the door/window rubbers yet ?
Just started replacing rubbers in my Inter and 1/4 vent rubber isn`t shaped up to expectations.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

• Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago #102040 by
Replied by on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Hi Raggsie

Getting an R190 windscreen sent down from Brissy by Windsceen deals for about $280. They will send it back if it wont fit.

I got all my Rubbers from Bill Thompson and you have to drill and shape them yourself. I recently spoke to Mike at Fleetparts in Towoomba who is going to have a mould made up for our style cab and will sell for mid $200's when avail.

I am going to need Left and Right 1/4 vents as both of mine have the locks broken off.

Daz

• Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #102041 by
Had both the clutch and brake master cyl's, clutch slave cyl and all the wheel cyl's resleaved.
Bought all new wheel bearings and had all the brake shoes relined...............and no change out of $3K there.

Have fitted the front wheel bearings, wheel cyl's and brake shoes but havent done much to the rear end as it looks like I will have to swap rear axle assemblies between the Red truck and the donor.

Got hold of a new front windscreen and had it fitted along with the three rear ones.

Fitted chome headlight surrounds that seem to set off the front of the truck.

You might be able to see the surrounds around the three back windows. The originals are made of a sort of cardboard but I cut a set out off 0.50mm zincaneel and am very happy with them. So much so that I am thinking off making the hood lining out of the same stuff.

Had a go at the drivers and passengers wind up windows/bailey channels etc but am not happy so its back to Scotts for more options.

More to follow.

More
9 years 11 months ago #102042 by Desotodav
Replied by Desotodav on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
I used a flexible bailey channel for mine Dazza. I found that the stuff with the stainless steel edging kinked too easily. I bought mine from UES, and used their product 'C52FLT'... uesint.com/shop/glass-channel-metal-inserted-c52flt/ . Price was $7.40 per length back in May 2011.

More
9 years 11 months ago #102043 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Great work on this rebuild

More
9 years 11 months ago #102044 by drive56
Replied by drive56 on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Looks real good Dazza first time I have looked at it is that Theo's tilt tray from Bendigo he brought my Inter AS 130 down from Moree for me he is good to know as he has 7 trucks that
run Australia wide with caravans and back loads anything back me I am jus up the road from you at Bendigo is the paint you have used 2 pk ?? look forward to your build updates cya Peter ;)

56 AS 112 Inter pickup being rodded&&58 AS 130 inter tray restoring

More
9 years 11 months ago #102045 by Aussiehooker
Replied by Aussiehooker on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
dazza keep up the good work .the seats and truck color are great -- on an earlier dodge i worked on years ago the diff was oil lubed and the wheel bearings were grease packed -the later ones the wheel bearings were oil lubed [[ there was a difference in the hub nuts [[ the grease filled hubs had a funny rubber seal incorporated into the hub nut as well as a seal in the axle tube [if you run oil discard the axle tube seals and change the hub nuts to standard nut without the seal //caution there are two types of hub seal the old rawhide [leather ] are designed for grease only / neoprene will do oil and grease / so fit the correct type of seal make sure the diff breather is not clogged an is able to do its job or you will pressurise the hub seals and oil up the brakes cheers don

• Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #102046 by
Hi Drive 56 and Aussie Hooker

The tilt tray at the start of my thread was from Bisbane picking up the rolling chassis from Willowbank and taking it to a car carrier to bring it down here.

The primer and paint is from Bodyline in Bendigo, cnr of Panton St and Laurel St. Phone 03 54418148. The Primer is 2K Dexone Plus with Dexone 2k Fast hardener mixed 4:1 and the color is Nason Ful-thane 2K urethane Red code 6270151 with Nason 483-15 Catalyst mixed 8:1.They recommend the corresponding reducers but I didnt use any as the they seemed thin enough and sprayed up well without any. General purpose thinners was used to clean out the spray gun.

As to wheel bearing lubrication .............every Dodge publication says they need grease in the rears but this definately cant be the case and your post confirms my understanding of it.

More
9 years 7 months ago #102047 by Slasha
Replied by Slasha on topic Re: A3-59D DODGE
Dazza
Your project is looking great. Keep up the good work mate. Hope the new addition helps.
Sorry I couldn't deliver the new addition tomorrow but I'm Sure Grub will look after you.

Cheers

Slasha

1974 White Road Boss

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds