Skip to main content

1967 Knocker & 27' trailer

More
14 years 3 months ago #21679 by mammoth
Rodney Henderson has a 1967 knocker with 27' trailer for sale at scrap value, located at Penrith. Has stood there since 1983. Was his fathers so has known history. (million ton wheat contract at Gilgandra and then aluminium ingots out of Kurri) engine rebuilt in last 10,000kms. Must be moved in next 2 weeks. No photo available for at least a week, so maybe Bruce could do a visit & report? ph 0412 273272

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21680 by Cunning Stunt
Yeah, I can ring him and go to have a look. If my wife was more enthusiastic, I could say I was buying it for her ::)

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #21681 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Hi all, I had an email about this earlier so got in touch, pictures below so you can stay "high & dry" Bruce.
Before I saw this on the forum, I rang Rod & another forum member had already contacted him but they just wanted the truck alone as a spare for theirs. I've sent them a PM. so, being the chivalrous fellow we truck addicts are, I just only considered the trailer for myself. Arranged to visit this morning to see them both.
It would be nice to leave them together but they are a big job & would have been a lot easier in 1983 when last driven.
I'll get the trailer for attaching to my 1968 little MAN diesel. It is an old single axle Mcgrath trailer, 8 stud wheels, hydraulic brakes (probably stuck), wood floor rotted out & rust bubbling on chassis. I shook hands (a bit more than scrap price) on the trailer, the non-detachable turntable complete, and the brake attachment on the steering column of truck

The commer is pretty rusted out now with no windscreen. The diff has eaton 2 speed on the rear housing, most things seem there, but it has a lot of rust in the cab & guards & having no windscreen hasn't helped things.

the chassis looks like a repair weld was done on the left rear rail. The chrome work seems good. Someone REALLY keen could restore it, but at least I expect one of you will get it for good spars on your own Commer Knocker. ID plate indicates it is T82Y90 & GCW of 25,000lbs.

PS it has been really rainy here at the moment so the commer's position puts it in a muddy block and is not a straight pull between firm ground & it, as it is side on & a tree blocks this pull. Rod says he will need to wait until it dries out. Nice guy & doesn't want this to go to scrap. Wish everyone was like him.
Regards,
Stephen

Kind Regards
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21682 by Cunning Stunt
Well I went over this afternoon and had a look at this old girl. Braving the mud after 200 inches of rain on Saturday night was a feat in itself. I knew this truck and tried to make contact with the owner about 8 years ago. It is well and truly rusted out but after a bit of a chat the owner and I reached a deal and it will be preserved. First thing will be to get it out of there.

As Big Soft Scottsy said, it will be difficult to remove but the owner has access to some machinery to get it out. We will source a cab from somewhere and as long as the chassis isn't buggered it will one day be returned to its former glory with 'R & L Henderson' signwritten on the door as a tribute to Rods dad and uncle who originally owned it, as agreed with Rod. Until then it will head to Gunnedah for under cover storage. :)

Thanks Mammoth for the heads up. It very nearly became a batch of Hyundai's like so many others :-[

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 3 months ago #21683 by Andy Wright
Nice one, Bruce and the Softy.

200 inches of rain? That's a bit of exaggeration. It was only about 150. ;)

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds