Skip to main content

Of Interest to at Least One Forum Member

More
1 year 9 months ago #237584 by Dave_64
Other side of the coin is the blokes who just do it for the sheer hell of it, or to have something thats just a bit of an oddity, a bit outside of mainstream so to speak.

Two come to mind, the NR Mack mentioned here recently with the Rolls Royce diesel, and if any of you guys cast your minds back a bit, a Citroen saloon with the 4 cylinder Gardner and the documentary "Australian. Safari", ( NOT to be confused with Alby Mangles TV shows), the bloke who had the 40's era Packard with the diesel engine, towed a caravan all over Oz.
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237603 by roKWiz

not connecting with that heritage. At the end of the day got to put your money where your mouth is either as individuals or as a community effort via museums etc.

See it all the time when it comes to heritage building restoration.
Nah, rip it down no one wants to save that or a wheeler dealers will butcher it for a quick reno flip, getting their inspiration from "The Block."

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 9 months ago #237614 by Lang
The old saving something that was going to be dumped in most cases is a croc. Most hot rodders require a fairly straight (and therefore probably restorable) starting point.

I have seen this more and more including a neighbour's prize winning model A coupe sold for $30,000 and the concourse metalwork removed for a mild roof chop, fabricated chassis, Chev 350 etc.

Here is my personal experience quite a few years ago.

I had spent a lot of time on a very original and rust free 1951 Ford F100. It took out "Peoples Choice" at a show before I sold it registered . Bloke flew up from Sydney, loved it and drove it home trouble free in 12 hours.

I got a letter from him 6 months later with a photo bursting with pride saying I would love my old truck. He then rang and wondered why I hung up on the dickhead.

Here is the truck he bought.

I never kept his photo but from memory this is very close to the crap he turned it into - but not as neat as this photo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 9 months ago #237625 by hayseed
At least he actually Built the Thing, Lang..

Nine times out of Ten, Someone who has their Ambitions confused with their Capabilities. Pulls It to Bits/cuts/fiddles ect. realises it's all Too hard, It eventually ends up on the Boat to China..

Ebay Gumtree & Faeces book marketplace are littered with Unfinished Projects....!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237628 by Lang
Hayseed

That is exactly what I and several others have been saying. It is not the fact they are building something it is the destruction of our heritage that it involves. It is all about them.

I suppose I should not get too excited as we are now running out of 20-50 vehicles and they have started on 60-80 vehicles. At least there are vastly more of them but in 20 years there will be blokes like me ranting about the destruction of the dwindling supply of Commodores and BA Falcons.

Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237630 by Mrsmackpaul
Lang I think people are already seeing the XD Falcon and VB Commodores are in short supply

They still seem modern in my brain but it isnt until I do the math

I kinda agree with both sides of the coin here

I really dont know what the answer is or more importantly were the line is drawn on should or shouldn't be done etc

I guess clubs have a lot to answer to, historic vehicle clubs allow modified vehicles and a lot of people have these vehicles on club plates

Were do clubs draw the line on what is or isnt allowed ? I have no idea

Sort of gets messy real quick if we start looking to deeply into things

It is a shame to see vehicles getting butchered for no good reason

A lot of people buy a old bucket of bolts and want to fully restore it, they get all excited and pull it all apart and then the realities of task at hand become very aparent

These same well meaning people end up trying sell it on but no one likes finishing a half done project in bits and these end on the boat to China

I guess my point is, even the most well meaning people end up sending to Simms some times

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 9 months ago #237650 by Dave_64
VB Commodes and XD Falcons becomimg rare??
BUT, who would have thought a mere cupla years ago, the humble farm Beddy would all be shipped off to the sub-continent??
Even some models of the little jappers are getting a bit thin on the ground.
I dunno, do we keep at least one of each and every ( truck) for posterity?
Old guy round my way passed on about six months ago, had a bit of everthing, cars, trucks, farm machinery, a collectors wet dream.
His son organised an auction , dont think he even came up, told the auctioneer to hang onto one or two cars, junk the rest!
So , dealer takes him at his word, another half dozen trailer loads go for scrap to China!
AND I'll bet theres a lot of others on here can tell a similar story.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237659 by hayseed

VB Commodes and XD Falcons becoming rare??

Well Dave, they are over 40 years Old..:dry:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds