1 year 7 months ago #239660 by Lang
1971 Leyland was created by Lang
Handy unit for the tractor blokes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239662 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1971 Leyland
Sorry Lang, I prefer a Lorry not a Leyland.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239663 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic 1971 Leyland
I’m a bit of a pommy fan I don’t know why but I think your froggy Mack would bi better value

Bluey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239683 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1971 Leyland
The Boxers were assembled from the BMC parts bin, and the Aussie assembly plant had to have Australian content which only complicated things, so they are a good example of what I have called cheap and what the Aussie market wanted at the time. This is a BX8 so in the middle weight range and hence may not have full air brakes - which is not a bad thing as the wedge brakes on the bigger ones were terrible. The cabs don't rust (much) and they are disappearing now that the Indians are scooping them up.
If you can find a later one with the better engineered cab tilt and Perkins they are not a bad tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239700 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1971 Leyland
If you don't like that one what about this for the Mrs to dig holes to plant roses in the garden.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239705 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1971 Leyland
As strange as this gunna sound, I dont mind these, I think they call them a G series, not real sure

The lime pit in Waurn Ponds them and occasionally we would go for a ride, very quiet and rode quiet well, everything a R model Mack isnt

From my memory they never were very successful in Australia, or maybe I should say they never sold in overly large numbers like ACCO and the like

I think quality control at the end was there biggest down fall, the product was well priced but never finished to a high enough standard

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239707 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic 1971 Leyland
I have always liked Leylands. As Paul suggests, they were perhaps not as common as the ACCO, but they gave good service as farm trucks in our area.

Brett.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239709 by Lang
And yet another

More
1 year 7 months ago #239712 by Lang
They are everywhere for sale.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 7 months ago #239720 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1971 Leyland
Paul, it is the cab that that was called the G, made at Bathgate in Scotland and it was used on a range of trucks. So the boxer comes from the BMC stable while the Cheiftan, Clydesdale and Reiver were an Albion in disguise with BMC motor or the Perk V8 so neither are really Leylands in my book. Not sure about the DNA of the Mastiff. The Australian version of the 5 ton Terrier with the V8 petrol was a fairly new design all round and a success however would lose out to Isuzu/Hino.
Those Scammells are a different kettle of fish altogether - Motor Panels cab and GM motor. That ergomatic cab Hippo tipper looks like their lightweight version with Albion hub reduction axles. The ergo cab on the 200hp engine was not suitable for Australia as their was bugger all air flow around the engine, no room for a larger radiator and the big one piece screen was a target for stones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds