Skip to main content

WANTED - Standard pressed steel truck front bar / bumper

More
7 months 4 days ago #248289 by mrsafety
Hi all,

I'm looking for a standard pressed steel front bumper bar to suit an old Leyland Boxer. It doesn't have to be specifically off a Boxer, but something that has a bit of a rounded shape to it so that it matches the curved front of the truck. Most of the old Pommy trucks have bars like this, but I'm having a hard time finding one nearby that it's bent like a pretzel. I've looked at some ACCO bars and they won't look right due to those trucks being flat-fronted. My truck is only used very occasionally around town, so I've done away with the heavy, ugly home made steel bullbar it came with and want something lighter and cleaner up front.

I'm located in central Victoria but travel to Melbourne once a week for work. Happy to drive an hour or so each way to collect if you know of anything. I'd prefer something that is relatively tidy that can I don't need to repair. I'm not looking to spend squillions either - $100-200 would be the budget.

Cheers,
J

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 days ago #248290 by Morris
Hello Mr Safety,
Welcome to the forum.

I feel sorry for you having to go to Melbourne one a week.  I have been driving my Wife to Box Hill every three weeks for medical procedures for the past couple of months and in three weeks, she has to go to Fitzroy.  That is bad enough.

I will have look for a bumper off a 19760's -70's International for you later today but do not hold your breath.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
7 months 4 days ago #248291 by Morris
Mr Safety,
I have just thought that my two mates near Shepparton, who are Austin/Morris/Leyland enthusiasts may be able to help.  I will ask for you.

If ou can, please put up a photo of our truck just for our edification (and we are nosey buggers)

What part of safety are you in? roads, vehicles, buildings or what?

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
7 months 4 days ago #248295 by mrsafety
Hi Morris - thanks for the quick reply. I'll see if I can dig a photo of the truck off my phone - she's no beauty queen, but has been a fun project for me to learn on, having come from a life of cars and motorbikes.

I'm just outside of Seymour, so Shepparton is a nice easy drive if it comes to that.

Regarding my username, that's a long standing one that I got branded with for being "too prepared" when we used to go out bush a lot. I was always the one carrying spares, tools and first aid - noting that my buddies gladly used this stuff when they broke down or got hurt.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
7 months 4 days ago - 7 months 4 days ago #248296 by mrsafety
This was before it got it's first wash, after sitting on a farm for the last 25 years. Complete with moss and a cab of wasps and spiders. The big steel bar on the front stopped the cab from tilting all the way over, another reason it (and the removable bullbar) were removed.
Last edit: 7 months 4 days ago by mrsafety.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
7 months 4 days ago #248297 by Lang
A Commer looks like it might be a starter as well.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
7 months 3 days ago #248319 by Morris
Mr Safety,
Whew, it is safe to invite you to our possibly unsafe places then.

I know what it is like being prepared.  I spend several days a week working on my truck if there is nothing I can help my mates, including the owner of the place, with.  I am the only one who collects up tools and equipment and puts it away.  We are always searching for something.  I always say "Look where it is supposed to be, first"

Yesterday, I took photos of all the available bumpers here on my phone and not just have to put them on the computer so I can send them. They are on Inters and a Fargo. It usually takes many attempts to get them from the phone to the computer.  I wish somebody could show me how to do it in a straight-forward way.

I have not contacted my mates near Shepparton yet, will try to do so this weekend.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
7 months 3 days ago #248325 by Morris
Mr Safety,
My mates near Shepparton do have a Boxer bumper but a mate of theirs wants it, or did a few weeks ago.  Frank will check if he still wants it and will let me know. He said try country truck wreckers. The one at Carisbrook had Boxers.
I have tried twice to send the photos of bumpers here but so far they have not sent. I will keep trying.

regards,

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
7 months 3 days ago #248331 by mrsafety
Thanks for your help Morris, I appreciate it!

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #248448 by Morris
Trying again to put up pictures of bumpers.  After four attempts, I have got them onto my computer in something called "Downloads"   Cannot get them into "Pictures"

File Attachment:

File Name: DeSoto1.jpg
File Size:2,977 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: DeSoto1.jpg
File Size:2,977 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Heavy duty...nter.jpg
File Size:6,121 KB

Maybe, just maybe, I have put the names of two of the three pictures up.  I cannot get them to open.  I do not kn ow what happened to the third picture. I have clicked on "Add files" and "Insert" until I am blue in the face.

I hope that Mrsafety can open them.

I'm gritting my teeth,

Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Gryphon.

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds