Skip to main content

Sankey-Benson 5/65 Rims

More
14 years 1 month ago #25652 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Sankey-Benson 5/65 Rims
Ha , how dumb am I - I was looking at the trailer! Thanks for the correction.
And re the Sankey Benson history, I was completely suckered to thinking they were pommy, but that now leads to the question, what wheels did English built J1 bedfords wear?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25653 by mike garrett
JO Bedfords used car type rims J1s used heaver rims like those atleast here in NZ they did.
Mike.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25654 by kennymopar2
speaking about sankey bensons .. wernt some aussie chryslers optioned with sankey benson wheels?

• Topic Author
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25655 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sankey-Benson 5/65 Rims
Sankey-Benson built wheels for many Australian-built vehicles, as they were the largest producer of wheels in the country.
Yes, Chryslers did have a Sankey-Benson wheel option.

mammoth, I can't answer the question for sure, about the British-built J1 wheels .. as many commercials were imported in partly-knocked down condition, and were completed with assembly here, rather than being shipped completely finished.
There were several reasons for this .. one was to reduce shipping space, and therefore shipping cost .. another reason was to reduce import duties by fitting, easily attached, local components, such as wheels. This reduced costs again, and it didn't require a host of skilled body builders to finish assembling the vehicle.
Where there was a local industry, in the period up until the late 1970's, import duties were pretty steep on overseas-built items, that were also built here. This was designed to protect local industry from the ravages of cheap overseas industry competition.

Wheels would have been one of those items that would have incurred a steep import duty, and were an item that could be quickly and easily attached on arrival here .. and shipping without wheels attached, reduces the volume taken up by a vehicle, enormously.

They could have shipped the J1's with wheels detached, but included on the rear of the chassis .. but as both wheels and tyres were produced here .. I'd hazard an educated guess that the J1's were shipped without wheels and tyres, so that local wheels and tyres could be fitted.
As the Swishmeister is fond of saying .. I do stand to B corrected .... :D

• Topic Author
14 years 1 month ago #25656 by
Thanks everyone and onetrack for the history on the company that was very interesting reading.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25657 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Sankey-Benson 5/65 Rims
they might be off a multi-tyre roller

• Topic Author
14 years 1 month ago #25658 by
Paul - All the multi-wheel rollers I have seen are fitted with 7.50 x 15 wheels. The MWR tyres are a specially-designed smooth tread, based on low-loader tyres, with a very heavy ply rating.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds