"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30991 by wgipps
Replied by wgipps on topic Re: Model T
Hi
That is a bloody good buy!
From what i can see in the photos :
Im not too sure how he identifies it as a 1922 - he must have the history of it. The only way you can tell the year of a model T is the engine number - and if it has a 26 engine.....
The cab is homemade but it looks drivable
Tyres - allow $200 each for brand new ones (yes they still make them)
The engine cowls are easy to find - thats if you want them (personally, im not a fan of the open engine look but a few people are).
I would expect this truck to go for around the $6 or $7K mark at least.
Glenn

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #30992 by
Replied by on topic Re: Model T
The Model T doesn't appear to have been substantially restored, but it's still pretty good value.

The end price will give a good idea of what its really worth. eBay gives excellent coverage by way of Australian, and world-wide advertising, and virtually any potential buyer interested at the moment will be bidding. There's over 1500 people have looked at the ad, and even working on only 1% being genuine buyers, that's still 15 interested buyers. You only need two to three genuine buyers to get a reasonable selling price. He's got 5 bidders bidding over $2000, showing they're genuine. It's likely there's another 5 waiting to pounce at the last second, like all auctions. I never bid until the last second, even at regular auctions. Many a time I've won an item, when someone else thought they had it.

The only other technique is to advertise a high price and wait for 6 or 12 months until you get a really keen buyer, then negotiate. This will sometimes get you a better price, but at the expense of a long wait.

The Model T is somewhat overrated, and I can't see where they are worth a lot of money. A mate restored one over about 3 or 4 years, and when he completed it, he sold it within 6 months, absolutely disgusted with it! :D

When I asked why he sold it so soon, he replied .. "I never realised that the Model T was so bloody crude! It was a shocker to drive! .. every time you hit a drain grating or a sharp depression in the road (even on a sealed road), the damn thing would develop a speed wobble in the front wheels that would nearly rip the steering wheel out of your hands!! It was flat-out at 40 kmh, it was a hindrance to anyone on the road, and it was as gutless as they come! Brakes were non-existent, it was terrifying to drive in traffic! ..
I bought a Model A instead! - now there's a nice car, with vastly improved steering, braking, handling, and speed!! .." :D

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170502737745

More
13 years 10 months ago #30993 by wgipps
onetrack....
your mate sounds like a dill!!
who restores a car and doesnt have some idea about how it will drive and what it will and wont do. Why didnt he ask about it - any model T beginner will tell you they have no brakes and do go real fast - why didnt he take one for a test drive?
They are an important historical car - they are cheap, very simple to maintain, they are easy to build and they are fun to drive. Parts are plentiful and they are known around the world.
I dont think they are overrated at all!!

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

More
13 years 10 months ago #30994 by wgipps
sorry....
they DONT go real fast!

13 years 10 months ago #30995 by
Replied by on topic Re: Model T
wgipps - Oh, I don't think my mate was a complete dill .. he did sell MF tractors and headers for a living, but we won't hold that against him! .. ;D

He did, however, have some pretty good restoration skills, and I'd guess he never really got a chance to drive a restored Model T, before he bought his wreck.

If you had someone come up to you, and ask .. ""Do you mind if I borrow your Model T, to take it for a flog around town for a couple of days, just see if I like driving it? .. before I buy one .. " .. would you allow it?? .. ;D ;D
No .. I guess not. So, that makes .. "drive before you buy" .. a little hard to do, in the restoration game .. :D

Yes, the Model T is a classic, but not everyone wants one. They filled the bill nicely in an era when horses were the next best option, and anything remotely mechanical was regarded with suspicion and fear. They were crude and simple, were shockers to drive compared to later models, and had lots of design ideas that were extremely basic, to say the least. You either love 'em or hate 'em, I guess .. :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #30996 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Model T
It went for $4100 somebody got a pretty good buy!

Graham

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds