Skip to main content

FORD 477 V8

More
13 years 6 months ago #35277 by GM Diesel
FORD 477 V8 was created by GM Diesel
Howdy,

I remember someone mentioning some of the Loosly builts had 477 V8 petrol's in them. Were these the same as the US Super Duty engine ?
If so does anyone know where there is one ?

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35278 by
Replied by on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
Baz - According to the wikipedia gurus, you got it right .. :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty_engine

Can't say I've seen any laying around over here in the West, but I'll wager you could lay your hands on one, pretty easily .. because few people want them.

Have you just discovered an oil well in your backyard?? ;D ;D

pricespare.ihub.com.au/DesktopDefault.as...=2916026&TabID=92958

More
13 years 6 months ago #35279 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
Hi Ron,

The old C950 ugly Ford has a 477 in it with abit of a knock in the bottom end so im just sussing out whats around locally. I have some stuff coming in a container from the US for the truck next march so I thought I would sort the donk out and if I cant get one here bring one in for it in the box....either that or put a 6V53 in it with an allison behind it 8-)
I have a special visitor coming Sunday arvo for a sleep over and a bundy or two. Might be a good time to crank it up again and have another listen with a second opinion.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35280 by
Replied by on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
Well, a 477 will get around 2mpg empty on a good day, on a downhill run, with a tailwind. They make the Inter 345's and 392's look like the ultimate in economy motors. In addition, they were designed so badly, with regard to good combustion principles, that even the Yanks don't like them.

If I were you, I'd be having serious second thoughts about even bothering to resurrect the 477. A 6V-53 is one option, a 3208 would be a better one. After all, Ford instigated the 3208 by asking Cat to design them a lightweight V8 diesel that could compete with the big gassers .. and Ford trucks is where these engines first appeared, in 1967.

You can pick up hundreds of excellent 3208's ex-wrecked schoolbuses in the States, for around $5K-$6K. With the dollar near parity, these are looking like cheap buys.
If I had some spare moola, I'd be shipping in a containerload of lightweight American diesels at present .. 5.9 Cummins', 3208's and whatever else was on offer.
The Americans are throwing out good engines by the truckload every day, all in the name of emissions .. :

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35281 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
477's came out in the LNT 900 louisville, which was the petrol equivelent of the LNT 8000, which had the 3208 in it. The first louisville sold in Austrailia was a concrtete truck with a 477 in it. I started my aprenticship at Denmac Ford in 1980, and I only saw a few, they wern't that populay in Queensland.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35282 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
the 477 V8s seemed to have a lot of problems ..top end /bottom end over the years ive seem looooosleybuilts advertised with a 429 & 460V8 ..personally id go a diesel often parts for the old petrol motors are more expensive than a diesel ..also the advertised 260 hp and 460ft/lbs power output mite of been optermistic . . . having said all that with the aussie $ being almost on par .. if you want to keep originality . . . . . . . . . .

More
13 years 6 months ago #35283 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: FORD 477 V8
Basil.. 477 V8 petrol for sale.. Good runner... In Tasmania. Has a 9 speed roadranger on it.. Ring John.. 0418132773... Give him a try mate........ Tony

Keep old inters alive.

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds