Skip to main content

D1310 International V8 345 Engine for sale

More
13 years 4 months ago #40073 by Spike
I have an V8 345 engine from an International D1310 truck. It was running well when pulled out of the truck a few years ago. It's been sitting in the back of my shed since. It needs to find a new home! I want to advertise it and am seeking thoughts on what a fair price for it would be......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #40074 by
Spike - If it still runs O.K., it's might be worth $1000. However, after years of sitting around, good condition engines generally rust up with condensation.
Bores develop corrosion because there's no oil film on them, within two years. Exposed valve stems get rusty for the same reason and valves no longer seat.
Have you tried barring it over? .. and if it turns, will it start? The carby passageways get full of dried out petrol residue which means they generally no longer run properly.
If the engine was reconditioned and set up for LPG with hardened seats, it would be worth good money. If it doesn't run as it sits, it's barely worth $500.
Don't want to sound too negative, but most "good running" engines don't stay that way for long, if left to sit for long periods of time, without being started.

Cheers, Ron.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40075 by IHScout
I bought one about 18 months ago for around $600. Got the same story from old mate about it running well when pulled out. He tried to start it for me when I went to look at it, but didn't have enough juice in the battery, but she cranked over alright so I thought I'd risk it for the money, especially when he gave me the gearbox as well!! Warning bells ringing for anyone? They should have been for me, the engine was stuffed, ended up doing a complete rebuild, and the housing for the input shaft on the gearbox was broken :( :(

One day I'm gunna learn that when they say "it was going when I put it in the shed" they really mean "it was already r00ted, but when I tried run it without any oil or water it completely sh@t itself". :o :o :o

Dennis

More
13 years 4 months ago #40076 by bigcam
Can I speak for Choc's? What's it wiegh? Hold on, He's an IH man isn't He? Would nostalgia get in the way?

Honestly mate, all the other crap aside, it's a gas guzzling dinosaur that will probobly only find a home with someone with the same disease as us on the forum. Get what you can and let it go, unless you want a long drawn out sale. I'd guess a couple of hundred bucks, I reckon I could get a whole truck with one in it for under a grand, and have the oportunity of hearing it running.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40077 by cobba
Ron. For a grand I would want to hear it running and do an oil and compression test as well, otherwise it's an expensive way to start a rebuild.

I reckon anywhere from $200 sight unseen to maybe 5 or $600 if I heard it running for a short while.

You're right as far as the sitting too long bit, and even more so with the wet year we have just had.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40078 by Bitsa
G'day Spike
How much are you looking for and where are you located?

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
13 years 4 months ago #40079 by Spike
Thanks for all the comments and views expressed guys! Alistair, prior to asking for advice, I was thinking $450; but in light of what's been said - I'd like to get $300. It absolutely was running well when pulled out - otherwise it would have gone the way of the truck, and we wouldn't have taken the trouble of pulling it out. However, it definitely has just been sitting for years and no-one has even looked under the cover! The engine is in south-western Victoria. Again, thanks everyone....

More
13 years 4 months ago #40080 by kennymopar2
often the international V8s need to be reringed anyway as they have a bad habit of glazing the bores... i reken about a $ for every kilo the motor weighs ...$400 ?

More
13 years 4 months ago #40081 by Bitsa
G'day Spike. Alistair here
The money your asking for the donk seems fine to me , but i think the cost of the freight to NSW Central Coast is going to kill any thoughts of getting it, unless you know for anyone heading this way in the future.
Regards
Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40082 by cobba
Sorry to spike your sale Spike.

Alistair, this is a little closer to home for you, but not by much. Comes with a gearbox as well.
cgi.ebay.com.au/INTERNATIONAL-ACCO-510-V...&hash=item4aa715861d

Here's a 392 as well but needs a re ring at the least and not really any easier to get a hold of either.
cgi.ebay.com.au/V8-engine-International-...&hash=item4cf3b72c5e

There was an AB110 for sale a week back and the owner advertised he had a 345 and box as an extra if wanted.
He was out near Dubbo somewhere. It's probably under 2 feet of water at the moment.
I was thinking about grabbing the truck but it was a bit too far to go for a drive to look at it from here.

Cheers.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by cobba.

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds