Skip to main content

bedford type k truck

More
13 years 4 months ago #41214 by steamnut
merry christmas to all. i am a new member only second enquiry about trucks. i thinking about buying a 1952 bedford type k truck as seen on ebay, are they any problems in relation to this model we have heard about the wheels rims, can let go. the cost is 13,500 dollars. what are parts like to get. i am also interested in tk bedfords to restore had my own for several years working for tnt country express out of newcastle.

thanks peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #41215 by
Replied by on topic Re: bedford type k truck
G'day Peter - Well, the old Beddy's are reliable as the day is long, no problems there. Like all machines/vehicles/trucks that are nearly 60 yrs old, your chances of finding new parts are low.
Some new mechanical parts would be available, but 80-90% of the parts for the truck are completely obsolete and totally unavailable. You would occasionally find some NOS parts, but these are getting rarer, too.

I suppose you're aware that the Bedford for sale is pretty slow on the road, and has braking and lighting that is poor compared to modern vehicles. Around 75-80kmh is about their top speed limit.

For $13,500, I'd at least want new wood in the tray .. in fact, I'd also want a couple of gold bars included, in the glovebox .. :-?
It looks like this seller has problems with zeros, judging by a previous truck sale! .. :D

cgi.ebay.com.au/1952-bedford-truck-k-typ...&hash=item3363a1fad2

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41216 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: bedford type k truck
You will have to go a very long way to find another Beddy restored that well. The wheels are only an issue on paddock finds where they have been on flat tyres in the dirt. The K model runs a higher speed diff than the M and O models and has more room in the cab than than the O model. Make an offer that suits your purse and see what happens.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by mammoth.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41217 by steamnut
Replied by steamnut on topic Re: bedford type k truck
thanks to all for the advice on the bedford k type truck gave me a lot to think about
peter

More
13 years 4 months ago #41218 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: bedford type k truck
Hi Steamnut -

Remember that the price is between you and the seller. If you are comfortable paying the $$$ and the seller is happy to receive the $$$, it becomes a 'win win' siuation for both of you. If the price appears to be a little high, remember that if you had to do a complete restoration on it, you would no doubt end up spending big dollars anyway. At least buying a truck that has had a good resto job already done to it, you get to drive it earlier! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41219 by

At least buying a truck that has had a good resto job already done to it, you get to drive it earlier!

This is exactly where the 64-dollar question comes in, as regards pricing.

Only about 1/3rd of "restorations" are "proper restorations" .. that is, complete dismantling of the vehicle .. and examining, and renewing, every component that shows wear.
All bodywork and every panel should be removed or exposed, and any damage or corrosion repaired.

The largest % of "restorations", merely involve fixing what needs fixing, a coat of paint .. and hey presto! .. we have a "full restoration" in eBay-speak! :D

This type of restoration is generally what a lot of people do, because of money and time constraints.

If a seller is trying to tell you that a vehicle is "fully restored" .. ask for, and then write down, the details of what he's actually done to the vehicle.
Ask for receipts as well. If the details are vague, and "he never kept any receipts", you most likely have a seller who is trying to "gild the lily".

Remember that sellers have a vested interest in convincing you, that what they're selling, is something that it's not.

eBay sellers are notorious for being shifty on the fine details, and trying to convince buyers that the item is "as-new", "good-as-new" .. or some other colourful terms, that are a long way from the true condition.

When a seller is saying that a truck is "fully restored" and hasn't even bothered to replace the wood in the tray .. it generally means that he's taken a lot of shortcuts in the "full restoration".

When you examine a vehicle that HAS been "fully restored", you can see the difference immediately. A fully restored vehicle, presents exactly the same as it did, when it left the showroom.

I examined a local 1929 Chev tourer once, that an aircraft engineer "fully restored". The condition of this car was unbelievable, you would have been convinced it had never left the showroom floor .. or that you were back in 1929, looking at it, on the showroom floor.

Cheers - Ron.

13 years 4 months ago #41220 by
Hi Steamnut there plenty of "M" model Bedfords around and can be found at clearing sales etc and the parts off these trucks will fit your "K" the only thing I think that could hard to find would be the rear axles. Dave

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds