Skip to main content

Oldest truck for sale

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #44663 by
Oldest truck for sale was created by
The oldest truck in existence is for sale if one of you rich blokes are interested

1909 Federal Truck - The Oldest Truck In The World

Offered For Sale at the:
Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction
October 16-18, 2008, Las Vegas, NV

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company
7400 E Monte Cristo Ave
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: 480-421-6694
Facsimile: 480-421-6697

1909 Federal Truck - The Oldest Truck In The World
LotNumber 109
Price $15,000.00

This is the oldest known truck in the world and has been a one owner family since new purchase in 1909. The first Federal production model was 1910, this is a registered 1909 prototype (re: D. Cameron Peck collection of the Detroit Public Library and the original blueprints and marketing material from the Federal Motor Truck Company). This truck is museum quality; 99% original condition. The other percentage has been restored to original blueprint specifications. The second oldest one known is a 1910 and is in the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan. The third oldest known is a 1912. This vehicle, as well as the two previously listed, are all registered in the Federal Motor Trust Registry and with the Antique Truck Registry of the American Truck Historical Society. This antique has original family registration, original hard rubber tires and is in excellent running condition. This truck is authentic except for the wooden bed which has been restored to original blueprint specifications.

Could look good in your collection boys!!! ;)

Cheers Adam

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #44664 by hoarder1
Replied by hoarder1 on topic Re: Oldest truck for sale
Price seems pretty reasonable to me. BIG call saying it is the oldest truck in the world though. Perhaps oldest Federal?

Very impressive bit of gear.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
13 years 3 months ago #44665 by hoarder1
Just in case you want to believe the Auctioneering House spiel, here is another claim to the title. Probably a bit closer to the mark in my opinion.

The first motor truck was built in 1896 by the German automotive pioneer Gottlieb Daimler. Daimler's truck had a four-horsepower engine and a belt drive with two forward speeds and one reverse. It was the first pickup truck. Daimler also produced the world's first motorcycle in 1885 and the first taxi in 1897.

But then again, would the Yanks consider anything outside the USA ;) ;) :D

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #44666 by
Replied by on topic Re: Oldest truck for sale
Yep i am well aware Gottlieb Daimler invented the first truck, and the first motorcycle too!,didnt know about the taxi though, but i think you will find that one in the pic is a reproduction of the original ,therefore not the oldest,but don't shoot the messenger, i just found the ad :o and i do stand to be corrected ;)

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44667 by hoarder1
I wasn't shooting the messenger- thanks for posting the link to the auction. I'm just stating that auctioneers make some wild claims at times.

I'm sure there are other more intelligent people than me who might let us know which vehicle could legitimately claim to be the oldest.

Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by hoarder1.

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44668 by
Nah, it looks like a case of auctioneer exuberance, or slight carelessness with the truth, fellas.

Ford built the Model T truck from 1903, and Packard built a truck prototype in 1904, and was in commercial truck production, in 1905.

It doesn't appear that there are any original trucks left from before 1910 .. and that Federal may just be classed as original .. although it looks like it's had a lot of replacement work done on it, to me.

However, here's a pic of a 1907 Chase Canopy Express truck, that sold for $30,800 at Hershey in 2010.
I guess that the Chase is restored, so that takes it out of the auctioneers precise description range .. ;)

(picture courtesy of RM auctions)

There appear to be a number of restored 1906 International High Wheeler trucks in existence, such as shown below.
However, the International came in either truck OR buggy, body configurations .. so I guess the auctioneer wouldn't class it as a truck at all! .. :D

(picture courtesy of Photobucket user, 76_SCS_Lover)

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44669 by Charawacky
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Charawacky.

More
13 years 3 months ago #44670 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Oldest truck for sale
Nope, none of these later vehicles mentioned, will EVER be accepted, as an earlier vehicle than the yankee one, 'cause they just aint built in the "bull$hit states". ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #44671 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Oldest truck for sale

I'd like to nominate HIGHWHEELER with oldest vehicle th@ tiz a member of this 4m

Me thinks early 1900's Black Auto Buggey

OK HighWheelr step up n fill in the unasked Q:?
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #44672 by
We're talking WORLDS OLDEST TRUCK here, Swish. Buggies don't count. Nice old buggy, though.

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds