Skip to main content

URGENTLY WANTED COMPRESSOR 400-118

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #107458 by Dingodan
#)#%)#%&$ Compressor has failed on our Astral Bus...2 hours before the new owner collected!!!!!!!!
Its mounted on the front of a Detroit so I THOUGHT it wouldnt be hard to replace LOL!!!!!!!
Any ideas? CAn they be reco'd? Why isnt it just a case of new rings? (Not pumping a breeze let alone air) Havent opened it up to have a look see...just want a quick option right now, not necessarily cheap (although that would be nice)
Hooroo
DD
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Dingodan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #107459 by ivor project
westinghouse 400 2 cyclinder comp would be rare to not pump at all i would check the button valves -stuck or broken spring? , if gear driven gm style check it is actually turning!!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #107460 by Dingodan
Thanks Ivor, Will pop the head off tomorrow for a look see.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #107461 by Swishy
Ding
Gudday M8

Sum of the screemers have the compressor bolted to the blocks @ end of cam shaft
the earlier V: had a Fibre gear to make the coupling
quite normal for the fibre cog to disintegrate

Also U could try the bush stethoscope

ButWaddaEyeKno

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Swishy.

More
11 years 2 months ago #107462 by Dingodan
That could make sense Swishy, its on the end of the block adjacent to the valley formed by the V6....Would the alternator (also a direct drive) be driven off the other cam? It sits dangerously close to the compressor. I didnt look into the block...I wasnt laying around in the bowls of a 40' coach with a crook back for too long....but the drive on the compressor is a long splined affair and looked clean...Doesnt sound like its geared does it....... just straight drive.... Although with two dead batteries, a spiked tyre, a jammed engine bay door ram (popping a set of hinges off) and now this all in two days I wouldnt be suprised if Im up for an engine rebuild!!!!!!!!! :'(

More
11 years 2 months ago #107463 by Dingodan
Well twenty five hundred bucks later and we have air! The collars around the ball valves had disintegrated, basically stuffing the head, easier to get a whole new unit than a head...Fortunatley it was direct drive so no awkward moments with fibre gears. Thanks for all your help guys.
DD

More
11 years 2 months ago #107464 by Sarge
well done Ddan, nice to get the end of the story too..

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds