Skip to main content

Search Results (Searched for: McGrath)

27 Jul 2012 08:26
No Cam the gear out at Rocklea was the biggest (longest press length) around at the time.
It was just 2 -20' presses side by side giving around 40 to 45 odd foot capability.
They were very worried about those old presses and would only use them for their own work. I tried many times to get McGrath to do pressing work for me and they always refused.
Saw a photo of the presses in a recent thread somewhere on this very forum.
I remember those old McGrath ads in the Truth's trucking section every Sunday.
Oldfulla I also see the single drive V's tandem drive close bogie trailers.
Someone must have noticed the older trailers failing once they went under tandem drive PM's.
27 Jul 2012 08:21
Here is a thought - that MAY help identify which McGrath built which trailers. IE: JJ McGrath and the Freighter/McGrath period - particually in respect to the re appearance of JJ McGrath.

And that is - how the McGrath name is spelt/displayed on the trailer 'name plates'.

I've noticed that there seems to be a period when McGrath is displayed with the 'little c' towards the top edge of the plate. And some with the 'little c' shown as it appeares in this text.

To see what I mean - go back thru the photos on these pages.

Just a thought

Oldfulla :-[
27 Jul 2012 06:56
Mammoth, I think you would find theyused the pommie pressings bacause no one here had a press big enough to do them. I havn't seen the other ad, but if they did them at Rocklea they might have bought a press them selves which would have been real big bucks in those days, or I think Comeng had a big press and used to do a lot of outside work. Comeng was at Evans rd Salisbury though.

So there are TWO John McGraths! He makes a feature of importing the chassis rails, but in another advert they are pressing them at Rocklea.

27 Jul 2012 06:54
Swishy

I've already claimed that story (Quin = 5) back on page 3.

oldfulla
26 Jul 2012 22:34
it might have been his idea?
26 Jul 2012 22:32
Hope eye'm stihl on topic
4 give me ifn eye'v sinned

Quin = 5
the Quin trailer had 4 wheels n a 5th wheel/ turntable = 5 az in Quin

Wot say U

TruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruckTruck
26 Jul 2012 22:20
Just a thought maybe the baby Quinn got its name from Bill Quinn, one of the names under the Brunswick Rd address in the add above.
26 Jul 2012 21:54
So there are TWO John McGraths! He makes a feature of importing the chassis rails, but in another advert they are pressing them at Rocklea.
26 Jul 2012 21:42

Heres a picture of J J ?
24 Jul 2012 16:28
HI ALL,
I AM NOW STARTING TO ACQUIRE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS FAMOUS COMPANY, AND HAVE MANGAED TO FIND ONE EX-EMPLOYEE WITH A GOOD RECOLLECTION OF DAYS GONE BY, BUT I STILL NEED PHOTOS OF TRAILERS AND THE COMPANY BASES, ALSO I AM VERY KEEN TO FIND A GOOD PHOTOGRAPH OF THE ONE AND ONLY;

J.J. McGRATH

CHEERS BILL.
21 Jul 2012 01:58
19 Jul 2012 08:34
HI ALL,
UNDER THIS SUBJECT 48 Bedford HAS SENT IN A PHOTO, WITH IT'S ID PLATE READING " NEW McGRATH "
THESE TRAILERS WERE BUILT BY JOHN McGRATH'S BROTHER, OUT AT GEELONG ROAD, FOOTSCRAY,VICTORIA , THIS COMPANY WAS NOT PART OF THE McGRATH TRAILER EQUIPMENT EMPIRE, AND WAS SHORT LIVED.
I AM STILL HAVING GREAT DIFFICULTY FINDING EX-EMPLOYEES, WHO ARE ALIVE AND KICKING, AND SO FAR I HAVE NOT MANAGED TO TRACK DOWN ANY FAMILY MEMBERS, ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
REGARDS BILL
18 Jul 2012 22:09 - 18 Jul 2012 22:09

Yes old fulla what you say is so true there is one thing I did notice about 2 of pics one from angle iron and the one that I put up both appear to have same shed in back ground Im sure some one will no were it is.I also recall reading somewhere it was Kurt Johansens son that bought one of those rotinoffs but I might be getting a bit confuzzeled there Im sure someone else will know.

The photo appears to have been taken facing south at the southern end of Railway Terrace Alice Springs just north of the intersection with Stott Terrace. The MacDonnell Ranges in the right hand rear of the photo and the rock outcrop in the left rear matches (to this day) the rock outcrop on the southern side of Stott Terrace near the intersection of Railway Terrace and also Bath Street. Direct descendants of Kurt Johannsen are still in the Territory.
18 Jul 2012 19:30
Yes old fulla what you say is so true there is one thing I did notice about 2 of pics one from angle iron and the one that I put up both appear to have same shed in back ground Im sure some one will no were it is.I also recall reading somewhere it was Kurt Johansens son that bought one of those rotinoffs but I might be getting a bit confuzzeled there Im sure someone else will know.
18 Jul 2012 11:15
Try again for the first photo link from above.

Oldfulla
Displaying 571 - 585 out of 791 results.
Time to create page: 4.220 seconds