More
11 years 1 week ago #114903 by Slasha
C'mon Chocs ya killing us :D :D

1974 White Road Boss

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #114904 by Chocs
Cont.

As i headed into Geelong..there was mixed feelings within the cabin of the Ol Blue truck...
Yes, we had got it going in time and it looked like the initial problem had been located and cured, but i must admit, i was on edge and hearing every rattle and squeek.. On and off the throttle at the slightest murmer..
.....Chocs.....settle down, sit back and take in the day!
Not quite sure just how many times i made that statement to myself, as we neared the BPs at Little River.

Hmm..no one here yet..anyway, we banged in some motion lotion and moved across to the parking area to await the other blokes.
How good are these fellas..hanging back till the very last to give me the most time and opportunity to complete the trip with them.. Thanks Boys..appreciate it!

[IMG

The run through to the border was uneventful, taking in a few road side stops for snacks and a look around our vehicles..
The Ol Cummins was sounding happy at this early stage of the game with no apparent dramas but it was still hard to pull the eyes away from the gauges for any length of time. ::)
As we approached the Big River, there was a bit of cackle on the UHF..
What do ya think..camp here or continue on a while?.
It was nearing nightfall and it was decided that we wern't running express on this occasion, so we should pull up and enjoy the evening.
We had stayed at the Boomerang last year while on the 'Crawlin' the Hume' run and decided that would be as good as any for tonite.
A good location, with plenty of truck parking, it wasn't long before we were checked in and sitting back enjoying a great meal and a few fizzys..

[IMG

[IMG

We decided on an early departure for the following morning, leaving us plenty of time for a leisurely run into Sydney...
One of our Mack drivers had a slight problem with the actual possession and subsequent location of his keys..
Following a complete demolition of the motel and everything else within a 5k radius..they were unable to be located!
Being a bunch of handy jokers, the problem was soon overcome and the familiar sound of the airstart could be heard across the waking neighbourhoods.
We were off once more..
Again the UHF rattled..whats for breakfast?
So after an early morning haul of about 2 ks...we entered the Shell North Albury..
Clean and tidy with friendly staff that can actually cook..
i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
It was quite obvious, time was of no object as we ambled off about 830am..So much for our early start. ::)

As we headed north, i took particular notice of the change, of what was our old Hume Highway.
No more swishin past the pub at Woomargama...
It too was now bypassed.
Holbrook being the last town on the run now, will slip off to the side very soon too..
How different it is since my first run up in the left hand side of a C line Inter in 1970..
Its times like these, when i miss my Dad the most..
The times we spent together in years past, becoming a distant memory now. :'(

Up to the top of Kyeamba Gap for a quick pit stop and thoughts of the ol jokers 'kickin it out' down the other side came to mind...
Anything to make that extra mile...

[IMG

chocs 8-)

to be continued...

More
11 years 1 week ago #114905 by GRINNIN BIG
Good on ya Chocs !
You make an interesting read keep it coming!!
Cheers BG

More
11 years 1 week ago #114906 by craigs
Now no stopping once you've started Chocs, Remember what our Fathers said,No fits and starts. Your'e here to make a mile. On with the show.

More
11 years 1 week ago #114907 by modela2010
Keep em Cummin Chocs. Enjoying the ride.

More
11 years 1 week ago #114908 by Dodge fan
Great read Chocs, keep up the good work!
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #114909 by Chocs
Thanks for the comments..Much appreciated..

..as the story continues..

As we leave the top of Kyeamba Gap, we maintain a steady pace off the north side, unlike days of old,
where this was a real good spot to stretch the legs , or the wings :D..
Seems so different these days to see the brake lights come on.. holding the 100k mark off the hills..
Days past it was quite a different story, you were either making up for the last hill, or setting it up for the next one..
While we were stopped ;), we took the opportunity to catch up on the various phone calls and messages that had rattled through since leaving Albury..
Apparently one of the ol mates had an oil evacuation syndrome happening somewhere up near Gundagai and was awaiting some parts for repair..
Our group had established order again, with me out the front, where i could be kept an eye on, as we made our way north along the Tarcutta Bypass..
This just didn't feel right at all.. of all the towns along the way, Tarcutta was always just a hive of activity... Blokes dropping trailers, blokes hooking up, other blokes pacing around awaiting the arrival of their trailers..Some over the wheel, getting 5 minutes, while they had the chance..
Others taking the opportunity to grab a quick feed or a bottle of drink.
In a very short space of time, they would rejoin the 'race' back to the end from which they started.
To this day Tarcutta still holds a very special place for our Drivers and their Families, both Passed and Present and Future.

It didn't seem any time at all and we were nearing Gundagai..
The UHF was getting busier as the day went on, as many of the blokes were catching up with each other for the run into Sydney.
I might add at this point, the weather was picture perfect. Could not have been any better..just enough sun to warm the driver through the glass and just enough cold to keep the old diesels running at their peak..
I must admit, i did wonder, with the amount of Ol Jimmys out and about this week, whether or not there would be enough air in New South Wales to feed em all :D

Down through 'Gundy' or 'Gundaggy' for you later modellers and out the other side, we hit the left blinker to take a quick stop for a catch up with a few of the boys..
Young Geffry in the White, along with his mate Brendon in the cabover were just pulling out as we neared the driveway..
They had spent a few hours this morning carrying out a few necessaries under the bonnet of the 9000..
He was smiling as the the ol 871 hit the governor on his way out to rejoin the northbounders..There was quite a lineup of ol bangas here, as the various groups had began to bunch up a little as we all drew closer to our destination..

[IMG

[IMG

Keep an eye on that little red C line in the background there....
Shes a force to be reckoned with that rocket!

Our next leg would take us past some of the towns we would 'revisit' tomorrow on our Haulin the Hume run.
Its just incredible now, to witness the change on the Hume, i know my very early memories were very far different to that of what i was seeing today...
Climbing up out of Jugiong once seemed an all day job!
Now, for most, bearly a gear change as the two snakes of bitumen have flattened out the pinches..
The towns of Bookham, Bowning, Yass, Gunning, Breadalbane, Goulburn..all beside the big road now as we make our way toward Marulan..
I remember as a young bloke, i could quote the distances in miles and time between towns, which town came next, which ones we ate at, which ones we fueled at....Now......i'm flat out spellin em!

See ya at Marulan....

chocs 8-)

to be continued...

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 1 week ago #114910 by Swishy
Good Call chox

Jist az tho me B sitn in de shotgun seat

LOL

Th@ Prodriver n his load looks good
think n a head n supplyin esential contents for the driverz......................Beer
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 1 week ago #114911 by Chocs
Hahahahahaha
On ya Swish!
I did think you was gunna make a sneak appearance in the mirror at any time soon...
I was watchin for ya!

Ol Prodrive......he knew there wasn't gunna be enough Fizzydrink in Sydney to go 'round once all these jockies parked their horses up for the night! :D

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds