Skip to main content

Fuel cost help

More
10 years 9 months ago #123029 by sonu
Fuel cost help was created by sonu
Hi all.
New user and first time owner of prime mover. I recently bought Mercedes actros 2646 to do Melbourne to Sydney. Just after my first 2 runs I had to put the job on hold as the fuel consumption blew me away. Can someone tell me how much fuel consumption is acceptable in following route

Truck: 2008 Mercedes benz 2646 (460 horsepower) euro 3
Trailer: 3 axle tautliner on airbags
Trip: Melbourne (dandenog) to Sydney (930km)
Driving: almost all but 50km on freeway
Load: 22.5 tonne (to Sydney)
Return load: (empty)

I have parked the truck up after just 2 drops as there is nothing left for me and it is cheaper to make payments then to drive the bloody thing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123030 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Fuel cost help
I'd be looking for a return load for a start .... :-?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 9 months ago #123031 by old scrapman
Replied by old scrapman on topic Re: Fuel cost help
Don't know about the mercedes but read a article in major paper of queensland transport company told all their drivers to drive at 90 k max which was checked by on board gps ,couple of drives refused and kept at 100+ and were let go ,reduced fuel bill by $7000 per week and kept company afloat .
Peter

More
10 years 9 months ago #123032 by sonu
Replied by sonu on topic Re: Fuel cost help
thanks guys, my bill for last return trip was $1300 at $1.54 liter and to top things off it ran out of fuel on top of bolty bridge on friday at 5pm :-X

i think $1300 is way too much considering return is empty. is there something wrong with my truck? i went to mercedes they won't acknowledge it is thirsty.

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #123033 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fuel cost help
Not a good place to run out of fuel!

Couldn't tell you what to expect out of that truck. But agree reducing top speed could decrease fuel consumption as wind drag is a big problem. (have a look at www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...vm=bv.50165853,d.aGc ) And being payed to go both ways would help also!

But just to help out might crunch the numbers for you.

$1300 of fuel at 1.54 liter comes out at around 844 Liters of fuel.

You indicate you did 930km from Dandenong to Sydney. So assume your fuel was for the return trip so total distance was 1860 km's.

So your fuel consumption was 2.2 km/liter or 45 L/100km (from my workings out anyway!).

I don't know what your type of truck should get. But I thought the figures might help.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123034 by sonu
Replied by sonu on topic Re: Fuel cost help
thanks j blair: for the first run i calculated getting something like 1.6km a liter. At 45lites per 100km is far outcry from mercedes fuel efficiency world record of 2008 model similar truck which uses 19.44 liters er 100km

green.autoblog.com/2008/06/03/mercedes-b...ciency-world-record/

More
10 years 9 months ago #123035 by Snaws2
Replied by Snaws2 on topic Re: Fuel cost help
My guys driving doubles are getting 1.7 to 1.9 km to the liter on SYD MEL runs

Snaws

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

10 years 9 months ago #123036 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fuel cost help
Sonu,

Their is a lot of difference between driving for efficiency and normal driving. You will notice that to get that efficiency record they only drove at 50mph and was on a test track (probably flat!).

As mentioned previously driving at 90km/hr would conserve quite a bit of fuel.

Have a read of this document cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/cummins_...ter_fuel_economy.pdf it has some interesting stuff about speed/HP and drag issues.

One interesting statement in the document is:-

Rock-Solid Rules
[ch61607] Every 2% reduction in aerodynamic drag results in approximately 1% improvement
in fuel economy.
[ch61607] Above 55 mph, each 1 mph increase in vehicle speed decreases fuel economy by
0.1 mpg.
[ch61607] Worn tires provide better fuel economy than new tires, up to 7% better fuel economy.
[ch61607] Used lug drive tires can get up to 0.4 mpg better than new lug tires.
[ch61607] Ribbed tires on the drive axles provide 2

More
10 years 9 months ago #123037 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: Fuel cost help
Just a comparison, my Landcruiser with caravan attached, total weight of approx. 5 tonne, on a good day, 17 litres per 100km, windy day, anything up to 21 litres, which is about the average of most others of similar size vans.

My old C160 Inter returned approx. 10 mpg on Haulin the Hume with the trailer attached.
Gotta feed them ponies if you want them to work, ;)

Gilly

More
10 years 9 months ago #123038 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Fuel cost help
Your diff ratio is also very important. With that hp you should be idling along well below 2000 rpm, depending where the sweet spot for your motor is. If your truck has been spec'd for heavy work it may have a slow speed diff and that will really chew the juice on highway work.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds