Skip to main content

Sentinel Diesel Trucks in Australia

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #133170 by
Hello,
As some of you will know I have a Sentinel Steam Waggon (truck) and have done lots of research about them in Australia including recording their histories, photos, numbers etc. My question now is does anyone on this forum have any info regarding the diesel lorries Sentinel built coming to Australia. I have heard of one in the early 80's in a scrap yard in Wollongong but not many other stories. Does anyone remember some or have photos of any? Any known to survive here?
Thanks
Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133171 by atkipete
A reference here to Sentinel stationary engines trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9386689...diesel&searchLimits=
If you could post up a photos someone might remember the trucks

More
10 years 4 months ago #133172 by fageol100
I remember reading an article in a 1960s/70s issue of Truck and Bus magazine where Jack Maddock mentioned road testing a Sentinel truck with underfloor diesel engine in the 1950s.

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #133173 by
That's them. Is there a searchable index or anyone have a copy of the article?
They were built between 1944 and 1956, 4 and 6 wheelers, 4 and 6 cylinder underfloor Sentinel Ricardo engines generally coupled to David Brown gearboxes.
Will post a couple of pictures as kindly suggested.
Paul.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133174 by atkipete
I dont have a full set of Truck and Bus magazines but found 3 Sentinel models in their 1952 listing
4 / 40 V 8 tonner 4 cyl diesel 90hp
6 / 40V 11 tonner 6 cyl diesel 135hp
6 / 60V 14 tonner 6 cyl diesel 135 hp.

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #133175 by
If you have scanning facilities a copy would be most appreciated!

More
10 years 4 months ago #133176 by atkipete
Yeah, I will get back to you with that. If there was a road test most likely to be in 51 or 52.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133177 by atkipete
Info from Truck and Bus magazine 1954
see www.flickr.com/photos/46046969@N03/11562287294/
They are a pretty big truck for those days ie 15 ton gross on a four wheeler but more than most road authorities allowed anyhow.

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #133178 by
Hi there.
I have just joined your forum and live in England.
I am currently restoring a 1947 Sentinel diesel.
If you guys want to know more about Sentinel diesels, take a look at my flickr pages: www.flickr.com/photos/57427727@N06/sets/
I am very interested in any Sentinel diesels which reached your shores in the 1950's. We don't know of any others that have survived outside England. I'm sure there were demonstators in Australia or NZ.
Look forward to your replies.
Regards.
Stephen.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133179 by Mrsmackpaul
welcome aboard Sentineldiesel mate I had never heard of diesel versions of Sentinels till this thread post thingo started the other day I thought at first some cheeky bugger is pulling my leg but as normal I was wrong and these pictures just go to prove it. It will be interesting to watch what develops with this thread this is a new to me seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds