contacts n reading here
Clikity ......................................... ClikCLikCLik

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133201 by atkipete
I know William Adams sold Sentinel steamers but not sure about the Diesels. Only adverts I can find list ;
NSW Motors Newcastle
Larke Hoskins + Co Camperdown Sydney
BEA Distributors Adelaide.
So maybe they weren't sold in Victoria. Spoke to a contact in NSW who remembers somebody doing Sydney to Perth regularly with a Sentinel diesel prime mover but the underfloor engine had problems traveling on unsealed roads.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #133202 by Tatra

Thanks Stephen, we dont know much about Sentinel ( or Bussing and Hanomag for that matter ) out here in the colonies so it is good to hear these stories. I reckon there must be someone out there who remembers the diesel Sentinels and will keep looking out for info.

Pete if you have the patience to run this through Google Translate, the history of the horizontal engine as used in trucks in Germany is here:

www.verlagrabe.de/artikel/pdf/Hik_04_3_Kellerkinder.pdf (part 1)

and here:

www.verlagrabe.de/artikel/pdf/Hik_04_4_Untergrundbewegung.pdf (part 2)

It's worth mentioning there were (later) attempts in the US by Peterbilt and KW, as well as Albion and Leyland in the UK (in Leyland's case also in Israel and down under, but those were modified Leopard and Royal Tiger chassis).

Cheers

T
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Tatra.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133203 by oldbob70
G'day Sentineldeisel
When I was a little lad of about 8 in 1967--- we lived in Woolston [ a suberb of Warrington].I can clearly remember the " Bone works factory wall "with a big sign ---North Cheshire Motors and a big Sentinal logo on the wall--- with many chassis around the yard.

Years later when I was in the air force near Stratford on Avon-- I worked weekends at Birds scrap yard at Stratford--- They had two or three ex Brewery Sentinal 8 wheelers ---they used to cart scrap across to the steel works in south Wales---- mostly Rail and Tram bogies after the trams were scrapped in Birmingham and Coventry

OLDBOB70

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #133204 by
Hi oldbob70.
Lovely to hear your story of life in Warrington. This is the first real life story I have heard of anything to do with TVW. Neil Matlock is fascinated by TVW and anything related to them. He is recording registration numbers whenever they come up. We would so like to find one but, it's not looking good. If you can remember anything else, let us know on here. (It's a long time ago, I know!)
I have a very detailed book on TVW written by Peter Davies so, know quite a bit about them.
Cheers.
Stephen.

• Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #133205 by
Hi Guys.
Re: Sentinel diesels in Australia.
I have recently found out this:
Sentinel exported some new 6 cylinder bus chassis to Oz during 1957. The bus division fizzled out during 1956 due to serious lack of sales. The company had closed down and all remaining stock had to be disposed of.
Sentinel had 4 running bus chassis left which never got their bodies fitted. These chassis were designed for monocoque bodies but could be adapted to truck work.
I am assuming there were no cabs but, possibly cabs were fitted here in England.
These 4 trucks were delivered to: British Engineering & Appliances (distributor), Adelaide, Australia.
These trucks were all fitted with beer dray bodies and delivered to: Tooth's Brewery, Sydney. Nobody know what happened to them (presumably scrapped) but, an interesting tag on this subject.

Progress on my Sentinel so far:
The radiator is now all built up and has been filled with water for the first time in 25 years. No leaks so far!
Next job is to make up the top and bottom water tubes from the engine to the radiator. (The engine is about 2 metres away from the rad!) The pipes are all in 35mm steel tube.
Regards.
Stephen.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133206 by Beaver
Stephen
Re the Oz bus chassis, if you want more info on them try
www.busaustralia.com/forum/ .

A few knowledgeable people there who might be ble to give you details of what happened to them

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 4 months ago #133207 by curious34
Hi , Some years ago I was asked about the Sentinals that came to S A , B E A still existed in its original form at that stage but there was no one there from 1956/7. I subsequently searched through the Truck and Bus magazines in the Public Library and found two articles from I think 1956/7 and from recollection they were made into forward control trucks in both single and tandem drive and were used in a quarry or a mine in the Camden area of new South Wales..If anyone has access to T&B from that era the articles should be able to be found. Cheers Dean

More
10 years 4 months ago #133208 by atkipete
I will have a hunt through T+B next time I am over at the HCVC library. Unless someone else has copies handy.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #133209 by oldbob70

G'day Sentineldeisel
When I was a little lad of about 8 in 1947--- we lived in Woolston [ a suberb of Warrington].I can clearly remember the " Bone works factory wall "with a big sign ---North Cheshire Motors and a big Sentinal logo on the wall--- with many chassis around the yard.

Years later when I was in the air force near Stratford on Avon-- I worked weekends at Birds scrap yard at Stratford--- They had two or three ex Brewery Sentinal 8 wheelers ---they used to cart scrap across to the steel works in south Wales---- mostly Rail and Tram bogies after the trams were scrapped in Birmingham and Coventry

OLDBOB70

Just corrected year date to 1947 oldbob70
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by oldbob70.

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds