Skip to main content

Sentinel Diesel Trucks in Australia

More
6 years 10 months ago #185076 by xspanrman

Hello,
As some of you will know I have a Sentinel Steam Waggon (truck) and have done lots of research about them in Australia including recording their histories, photos, numbers etc. My question now is does anyone on this forum have any info regarding the diesel lorries Sentinel built coming to Australia. I have heard of one in the early 80's in a scrap yard in Wollongong but not many other stories. Does anyone remember some or have photos of any? Any known to survive here?
Thanks
Paul.

In the early eighties there was a steam wagon seen around Wollongong that belonged to the manager or an engineer that worked at South Bulli Mine. I remember being told that this person was recruited from England and part of his relocation deal was that the mine arranged transport for his steam truck to Wollongong. There was a write up in the local paper as NSW DMT could not issue him with a license to drive a steam wagon on public roads as they no longer had anyone qualified to assess his driving capabilities. He finally got his licence and remember seeing him drive his steam wagon along the F6 at West Wollongong heading towards a steam rally in Victoria. There was a lot of comments on the CB radio, the main one was "what is it" and "I haven't seen one of them before" I think it had pneumatic tyres fitted.

Here is a photo taken at the Clarendon Truck show in 2014.
A 1924 Super Sentinal Steam Wagon that started its working life delivering coal around Melbourne.
When driven around the showground I was amazed as to how quiet the 2 cylinder engine was. I expected it to sound like a steam train.
The chain drive was noisier than the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #185088 by JOHN.K.
There used to be two Sentinel steam trucks in Charlie Fogarty s yard on Kessels Rd,where the Aldi is now.One complete ,one in bits.The old feller lived opposite me used to drive one during WW2 ,bringing coal from the gas works at Newstead up the hill to the Bulimba Brewery.He said they were bought new by the City Electric Light Co.Fogarty had a bit to do with steam stuff,and I believe they were shipped back to England,but I dont know.Fogarty had a big fleet of dozers,as well as owning pubs in western queensland.

More
6 years 10 months ago #185099 by atkipete
A few Sentinel Steamers have survived but I don't know of any of the diesel ones still around.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195896 by xspanrman
Found this on facebook. Australian Transport Companies Past.
Sentinel Diesel semi trailer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, PaulFH, Southbound

More
5 years 8 months ago #195898 by overnite
At first glance it looks like a Foden.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195901 by Dave_64
Or a Seddon.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195925 by xspanrman
Photo fro FB Australian transport Companies of the Past.
More photos of the Sentinel,
Note the sliding doors and is it the engine is where you would expect the gearbox is usually located.?

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 years 8 months ago #195926 by overnite
Notice the change to the old interstate plates in the second photo

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195929 by JOHN.K.
Sentinel had their own diesel,and I dont think it was much good.........bit like the Crossleys.....anyhoo,I ve never seen one,and Ive seen hundreds of old motors over the years. EDIT.....but looks like a Gardner air cleaner on the chassis..........and a Gardner badge on the grille.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 8 months ago #195930 by Dave_64
Seems I recall reading a bit about the abovementioned Crossley Diesels many years ago. Also made two stroke diesels for marine/submarine use between the two WW.
Old time marine engineer I worked for in another life commented that the Crossley engines were used on the wrong end of the anchor chains!
May have also tinkered with locomotive engines as well.
Dave

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds