Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #133211 by Thunder Down Under
Thornycroft cab?

TDU

More
10 years 3 months ago #133212 by atkipete
I think these cabs were made by someone else, Homalloy, Motor Panels etc etc ?

• Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133213 by
These cabs were made by Boalloy Ltd. in Cheshire, England.
They made similar cabs for a variety of manufacturers during the 1950's - early 1960's. ERF were the biggest users but, a few were used by TVW along with Williams cabs also.
This is the plate from a Boalloy cab:
www.flickr.com/photos/35455701@N03/12100300254/in/contacts/
I'm not sure if any of these cabs reached your shores.
Regards.
Stephen.

More
10 years 3 months ago #133214 by roadster
There is a five page article on Sentinel diesels in the current (February) issue of Classic and Vintage commercials.
Rod

More
10 years 3 months ago #133215 by atkipete
That one says "Boalloy" ?

• Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago #133216 by
Sorry! My mistake Pete. I have corrected it now.

More
10 years 2 months ago #133217 by curious34
Hi , I have done some more research in Truck and Bus Magazine. Sentinel trucks were first advertised in the November 1951 edition. there were models 7/8 ton 4 cyl m0dl4/4 , 12 ton 4 cyl model 6/4 , 12 ton 6 cyl model 6/6 . The dealers were Sidney Palmer Ltd Stanmore NSW, Austin Distributors Sth Melbourne Vic, BEA Distributors Adelaide & Wigmores Perth WA. They continued the adverts each month until October 1954 when the last appeared . Wigmores disapeared in January 1954.In the June 1953 edition pages 52,53,60, 62 & 64 there is an article about Clintons Nattai Collliery of Camden New South Wales. At that time the company had 5 Sentinel trucks in it fleet of many trucks. The article states that five were rigids and 3 semitrailers. There are photos of the rigids which are 6 wheelers towing 2 axle bottom dump trailers . Cheers Dean

More
6 years 9 months ago #184905 by atkipete
This topic has reappeared in Steam Supreme - a magazine produced by the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine club - including a photo of one taken in Melbourne.

Anyone remember this truck or other Sentinels ?
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #185036 by mammoth
The Sentinel engine came too late to catch the post war boom and was under developed and consequently was not a huge success. Ricardo helped with head design at one stage. To make the most out of them when the trucks weren't selling a lot were used in gensets.

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds