loose fitting etc

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #137233 by Mrsmackpaul

May B the big air hose ..... she leakz

loose fitting etc

Ive had this before (split and badly perrished hose)with same result as described but any time I suggest anything Im told Im wrong so I will just shut my trap and see what happens I some times think Mrs mrsmack is on here Im wrong so often :D :D :D :D :D

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 3 months ago #137234 by Swishy
But we stihl luvz yar Mrs
LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 3 months ago #137235 by Ronny G
I would have a good look at the little exhaust muffler,mine blew the end out of it and lost the gauze stuff from inside some time ago. I have been meaning to do something about it but know if anyone standing near there pays to warn them before you start here.

More
10 years 3 months ago #137236 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Mack Air Start - Question?
Hi, You may have some broken or just stuck vanes in the starter. The barrel that the vanes run around in can wear thin and pieces will break out and this will let a lot of air escape. If your muffler is missing you can get a polythene footvalve and turn it around the opposite way to keep the dirt and stones out of the starter- this is the cheapest way.-Kav

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #137237 by Bobsboy
Mrsmack,
The phrase you might be looking for is
"You're not often right, but this time your wrong"

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble. . .

-b
;D

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 3 months ago #137238 by prodrive
ha ha bobsboy! yeah i thought i was wrong once, but as it turns out, i was mistaken..
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, fellas. This forum never ceases to amaze me, with the wealth of knowledge, and good ideas ( ;D ;D) that are out there!
I reckon you blokes might be on to it- thats what it SOUNDS like to me- like it's working perfectly, but lost it's baffle somehow. The bit below it seems to be all complete, (thats the bit with slits in it) and I can't see or feel anywhere that's "missing" a plate or anything. So I guess I'll pull it off and check out the inside, in case there is something that I'm not seeing.
RonnyG, that sounds spot on- I stood beside it whilst someone hit the starter to see if I could see anything unusual, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D - I THINK my hearing may recover, perhaps by next month...
So there's air gutsing out there somewhere..Reckon I'd notice if the big hose was split though?
Hey Kav, what do you mean, a Polythene footvalve?
Thanks again you blokes, keep up the good ideas will you?
Cheers!
Richard

More
10 years 3 months ago #137239 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Mack Air Start - Question?
Hi prodrive - I used the spring loaded poly footvalves that normally go on the bottom of the suction pipe on a pump or windmill. You can get the exact size to fit the thread on the starter exhaust and I always put them in with the white thread goo. You unscrew the two ends and swap them around so that the big blast of air goes out when you are starting and the spring then comes back and seals them off to keep the water, dirt and stones out. I fitted the first one of these in 1979 and have been using them ever since and they are cheap. I was having trouble with the dirt getting into the starters when I was doing a lot of gravel road work and sometimes the fibre vanes would jam inwards.- Kav.

More
10 years 3 months ago #137240 by prodrive
Gday Guys, Thanks for all your help and suggestions! (Kav, thats a ripper- I'll remember that)
Pulled the starter off, bung / welch plug had fallen out, and of course it wasn't visible until said starter was off.
Fixed him now! Also found that the starter drive that engages the ring gear was pretty ordinary... But that will have to wait till next time!
Anyone got any suggestions on where to get bits for these? or changeover unit?
Cheers and thanks everyone for your input!
Richard

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #137241 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mack Air Start - Question?
Mack trucks have always had the bits
Last couple of bendix drives I bought were $ 600.00 'ea
Gleemans may be ?...

edit
I just gave away a fully reco one for a couple hundred bucks last year.
I still have some stuff on the shelf but I been getting rid of all the R model stuff..

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds