More
10 years 1 month ago #140543 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: A and B buttons
Sounds like Waiheke Island???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140544 by Motu
Replied by Motu on topic Re: A and B buttons
Yeah, we lived there for 10 years - went there when it was cheap and full of hippies, sold our place and left before the boom. Our place would be worth a million bucks now.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140545 by spinnerboy
Replied by spinnerboy on topic Re: A and B buttons
We only got our own phone line in early 1990's, before that we shared a party line with neighbors--and that was outer NW Sydney. We still have to have sattellite internet though in 2014, we are too far from the exchange apparently.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140546 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Re: A and B buttons
Last time I visited NZ we went on a launch and bus trip to Waiheke Island. (it is off Auckland for those who don't know) Bus driver was a local character. He took us around the island and to three wineries and said if we wanted to stay for an evening meal, he would come back and pick us up in time for the last ferry back. Six of us:- three Kiwis, an Aussie, an American and a Canadian had a great meal and some great local red wine. I recommend "The Point" red from "The Point" winery. I bought three bottles home.

There were a great number of Doctors and other professionals with rooms on the island. No doubt if they worked half a day a week on the island and the remainder of the week in Auckland, they could claim most of the cost of living on the island off their tax. Nice work if you can get it!

When I worked in Auckland almost fifty years ago,a workmate had grown up on Waiheke. As a teenager, he and his mates went to church with the local girls every Sunday, played tennis with them on the courts after church and then made love to them in the long grass behind the church after tennis. The parents knew about the church services and the tennis.

See ya,
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140547 by
Replied by on topic Re: A and B buttons
....no wonder the doctors and others gravitated towards Waiheke!! :o :o :o ;D ;D

More
10 years 1 month ago #140548 by Motu
Replied by Motu on topic Re: A and B buttons
It was (is) a great place, a microism of society - although heavily weighted on the wierdo side of the scale when I was there, these days the weight is on the rich side of the scale. For those of us who lived and worked there it was a small society...you knew everyone, and waved to every car, bike or pedestrian.

We were there before the vineyard thing, there was just the one. He found the climate replicated a certain area of France where he had worked in vineyards, and so grew grapes from that region....and got awards for the wine. Farming was uneconomic, so with the success of wine, farms were cut up into smaller blocks.

Trucks on Waiheke Island? There were some of course! I worked once for a guy who had a couple of trucks, a Ford D1000 and a Leyland Boxer, both with Eaton diffs....and wired opposite! I usually drove the Ford, and when I got in the Boxer it was WTF?...? I wanted to rewire them the same but he said ''No, I'd only get confused.'' And I wasn't ?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #140549 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: A and B buttons
Motu, I've taken my tanker there a few times to pick up wine from the northern part of the island back to Auckland for bottling. Lots of narrow roads with sharp corners, I had to get a few fence posts removed so I could get round some of them.

Is the fact you lived on Waiheke why you use the name "Motu"?

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds