Skip to main content

hey all.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13043 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: hey all.
Nice looking truck Charles,I reckon you`ve got a bargain.It will probobly go all right with the 214 in it.any way you`ll soon know.I`ve just spent the best part of a day trying to another old Beddy going that`s been sitting for 5 years.I`ve got it the stage it`s just running,so I`m thinking the Petrol might be past it`s use by date.The old girl is 2 1/2 hours from home on top of a mountain accessed by a goat track.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13044 by bigcam
Hi Charles,to keep in with Hi Jacki ng your posts,here`s some pics of my excursion today,we were at a place called Somerset,west of Brisbane.Bedfords,Hills,Red Bellied Black Snakes,Quite a few Deer,Tractors,etc,not a bad day.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13045 by charles
Replied by charles on topic Re: hey all.
Very nice pictures, sounds like a good little adventure, some interesting gear around.

Yeah given the cond of my truck I think it was a good buy, not knowing anything about it before I bought it had me worried, but looking around now it seems like its worth the 2k. I think being in a barn saved it from rusting away, although I expect to find some rust under that fresh'ish red paint, but repairing it should be no problem. It does need some tyres tho.

I think two new steer tyres are first on the cards, also looks like the RH front rim doesn't match the others.

I really like that dual axle ford, the big white one, that looks great.

Nice deer, did you have a rifle handy? ;D

Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by charles.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13046 by charles
Here are a few more pics she sent to me via email.

Looking at the engine it looks very good for a truck this old, i wouldn't be surprised if the donk has been recoe'd at some stage, she did mention the engine had been 'done up'.

What are these engines like? would it handle a low boost turbo setup on straight LPG? That might be an interim option before it gets big block and auto.

Restoring this one is going to be great fun, it looks so simple, its a good change when your working on space constrained modern cars(80's) all the time.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13047 by bigcam
You can see the block looks tp be painted Ford blue,so there`s a good chance it was an exchange of a mob like GEM.the front wheel rim is a Bedford one,just off an earlier model.Put it on the inside of the duals or the spare,that will hide it.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13048 by charles
well I went and had a look at it, its in very good cond, not a single spot of rust to be found anywhere, 100% complete except the glovebox, engine turns freely and looks very good, no leaks anywhere. Front end feels tight and has heaps of grease on everything so it was obviously looked after very well.

Its a J5, and has a 5 speed, and has vacuum brakes I think, it has a tank under the LHS of the tray, which has a hard line to the intake manifold.

Very happy with the purchase, I doubt there are many around in as good condition as this one.

I think a few new tyres, replace some hoses, change all the oils/fluids, new battery, and it should be good to use.

Anyone know what type of oil filter these things use? I want to change the oil and filter before I try crank it over next weekend.

14 years 8 months ago #13049 by
Replied by on topic Re: hey all.
I dont why you want to HOTROD it these truck get along very good pace and will sit on about 100k's. Dave

14 years 8 months ago #13050 by
Replied by on topic Re: hey all.
BC whats the the Bedford with the tipper got in her. Dave

More
14 years 8 months ago #13051 by bigcam
The Fouby`s got a Bedford deisel in it,I might bring that one home too,no one wants to drive it down the mountain but.There`s an Isuzu that they use to get up and down now,so I might put it in front of that with a staight bar.

I agree with Deadly,Charles.Hotrodding the old girl will only cost you,and it won`t go much better,except using more fuel.Though I think 350 chevs will go in them pretty easy if the 215 carks it.I`d give it a wash and polish,go over it,and start using it.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13052 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: hey all.
Cam
wouldnt it be easyer to run the gas axe through it and bring her down i a couple of pieces 8-) ;D

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds