Skip to main content

Detroit school lesson please

More
9 years 9 months ago #146338 by geoffb
Just my 2 bobs worth I would remove that mesh and try again reckon that could be farilly restrictive

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146339 by ray
I tend to think that the size of the bumper would severely restrict air flow around the sump which would also increase the oil temp causing the cooling system to work harder.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146340 by Blackduck59
90 is fine, and I am with others on the mesh. Mesh is funny, it looks good but most has less than 50% open area. Some can be down around 30%.
Cheers Steve

More
9 years 9 months ago #146341 by tongalafarm
If removing the mesh doesn't work the only way to clean a radiator properly is to remove the top n bottom tank and poke wire or similar thing down every core as they do block up if the cooling system has been neglected

More
9 years 9 months ago #146342 by Dig a ditch
G'day

The mesh is more open that it appears. It's the same stuff kenworth use in there grills on current models. Width ways the mesh opening is the same width as the radiator, the top tank is also behind the mesh.

I think you blokes are right the bumper may need a hole it. Thing is the old bullbar setup allowed no airflow either.
My bottom grill section is a restriction where as the old grill didn't have a solid bottom section, the punched mesh ran down behind the bull bar.

Maybe I've created a problem, I just wish I could remember what it sat on before I made the grill.

Airflow is a funny thing!

The lack of a Horton fan is an interesting one. I just assumed it should have had a fixed fan.

Cheers

No school like the old school!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146343 by oldfulla
Dig

Mate - I'm no expert on air flows - but to expand on what others have already said - the big bumper bar will be acting like a snow plow - and there for pushing a bowwave of air away from the front of the truck.

Fresh wind flow around the motor is needed - to cool the sump and general enging bay. And that cool air has to get in via somewhere else other than the radiator. Air coming thru the radiator starts out cold - but with the heat transfer process - finishes up as hot air on the other side.

Remembering - when these things were built - the manfacturers had trouble getting radiators (and space) bigger enough to do the job. So - everything (as built) was on the design limit to get enough cooling. Hence - any change to the front - away from origonal - has the potential to cause an over heating problem.

My point beeing - dont just concentrate on the radiator/water cooling side of things

An eaxmple (not a good one) is to compare the front of the C Series ACCO's. Like an 1820 to a 2050. The 2050 (bigger engine unit) has less bars in the grill, hoz slots in the bumper bar - and some other changes (from the smaller engined units) - all done to increase the non-radiator air flow needed for the 'big' motor.

All just an opinion

Oldfulla

More
9 years 9 months ago #146344 by geoffb
Not try to sound or take a way
As you say the mesh is the same as a late model whole different type of engine
As pionted out by some else people forget the oil is not only there to lubricate but also cools

More
9 years 9 months ago #146345 by Bitsa
If my memory serves me ,(probly not), these old girls had a shroud around the fan, so air was drawn through the radiator and not around it. If so, is it still there and in good nick?
Cheers
Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
9 years 9 months ago #146346 by Dig a ditch
G'day

You'd b right alistair it does have a full shroud around the fan and its all there in good nick.

Might need to make some vents in the bumper me thinks.

Thanks fellas.

Cheers

No school like the old school!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146347 by Bugly

Might need to make some vents in the bumper me thinks

Take it off and go for another gallop first. You'll then know for sure if you have to modify it :-?

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds