Skip to main content

Detroit school lesson please

More
9 years 9 months ago #146358 by geoffb
Most thermostat I have come into contact with have the temp on them but would still check via the water method

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146359 by gilly
Ring cutting edged or Detroit, as I found them quite reasonable when I was looking for a gasket recently when no one else had one & only wanted to sell a full kit, get two new thermostats, gaskets, seals etc, do the job properly, takes all the guess work out of it.
As far as the radiator goes, if in doubt, pull it out & get it attended to, cheaper than a engine rebuild if you nip a piston through lack of coolant flow, & then you will have to do the whole of above anyway.
Just my thoughts ;)
Gilly

More
9 years 9 months ago #146360 by Blackduck59
These cannot be run without a thermostat so you will need to something to put in there if there is any doubt about their condition. If you don't have the time to wait for parts you maybe better off just buying 2 thermostats,2 gaskets and 2 seals.
That way you have parts to put in and know they are good.
Have a good look and feel at the hoses, if in doubt of their condition get some new hose to have on hand. This is just straight hose, nothing special. Some spare hose clamps if the ones on there are suspect.
Personal preference is for Permatex 3 as a gasket sealant and works well on bolt threads around water. Allows you to usually remove the housing if needed without destroying the gasket
Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve

More
9 years 9 months ago #146361 by paulc20
Here are the pages from V71 series manual, I think the 92s are the same in this area.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 9 months ago #146362 by clarkie383
Good info Paulc20.
If you read the first page put up it says that thermostat should be fully open by 85

More
9 years 9 months ago #146363 by paul404
Try changing gauges from side to side first, at least that will eliminate a faulty gauge...

More
9 years 9 months ago #146364 by Dig a ditch
G'day

That was the next plan Paul. Swap the senders over side for side and see what happens.

Very good info above at least now I know what to expect. The part about a special tool for the seal is a bit of a worry.

I'll ring detroit and see what I can get before I venture too far into the unknown.

Cheers

No school like the old school!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146365 by Dig a ditch
G'day

Got an answer from detroit.
Got thermostats in stock to suit, $156 plus gst just for 1.

This shocked me a little, does it sound right?

I then asked about gaskets and seals, still waiting on an answer.

Cheers

No school like the old school!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146366 by Chocs
Call Stiles and Hicks (Cutting edges) in Melbourne.
Ask for Jeff or Danny.

chocs 8-)

More
9 years 9 months ago #146367 by geoffb
Stiles & Hicks just up the road around the corner all that if you need them picked or anything

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds