Skip to main content

Truck rolls and explodes with Ammonium Nitrate

More
9 years 8 months ago #148263 by .RC.
Wasn't there another AN truck explosion only a few years back somewhere out in western Qld that killed some people.. it was rumoured to be an insurance job, but some people came on the scene wondering what the smoke was and got caught up in the blast...

I did not think it was the Taroom explosion as that was back in the 70's... This was more 90's or 00's.. Or am I dreaming this event happened?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148264 by dieseldog
I can already see the do-gooder backlash to get these trucks off the road, despite it being a 1 in a million freak accident.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #148265 by bigcam
Isn't exactly one in a million, it's the second one in Queensland. Admittedly the previous one was 40 years ago.
The damage was just as severe though, and the previous one 3 blokes were killed.

They'd have 2 chances getting trucks carrying Ammonium Nitrate off the roads I'd reckon in any case.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bigcam.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148266 by BK
Talk about memories of Taroom, what force is needed to remove those prestressed deck slabs ? then demolish a span in the railway bridge.....unreal.
Here's what's left of the PM.

[IMG

Trust me

More
9 years 8 months ago #148267 by bigcam
The $20 million public liability would probably get a work out.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148268 by hayseed

The $20 million public liability would probably get a work out.

That was one of the first thoughts I had, Cam..

$20 Million would hardly be enough in this day & age.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 8 months ago #148269 by prodrive
Wow. Just Wow. Words fail me.....

More
9 years 8 months ago #148270 by indianman
It certainly would have been a big bang, in a past life I used to use 80kg of ANFO (ammonium nitrate fuel oil) to blast a 5x5x3mt face cut so 50+ tonnes :o :o :-/ :-/

Jon

More
9 years 8 months ago #148271 by Ozfury

Wasn't there another AN truck explosion only a few years back somewhere out in western Qld that killed some people.. it was rumoured to be an insurance job, but some people came on the scene wondering what the smoke was and got caught up in the blast...
That was definitely the Taroom incident, very scant reporting at the time but it became one of those urban myths that many had heard but few could verify
I did not think it was the Taroom explosion as that was back in the 70's... This was more 90's or 00's.. Or am I dreaming this event happened?

That was definitely the Taroom incident, very scant reporting at the time, but became one of those urban legends that many have heard but few could verify.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148272 by .RC.
Ahh OK... I did some research and the details do match to some extent.... The story I heard was it was stockmen that went to investigate and were caught in the blast along with the driver that was watching it burn, so it was obviously the Taroom incident...

I would hazard a guess with this recent explosion, most of the AN did not detonate and only a % of it went up.. It seems a little can make a big bang..

If the lot went up I think those fire trucks would not have survived as well as they did...

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds