Skip to main content

Speed Limiters

More
9 years 4 months ago #152635 by Merc 1626
Speed Limiters was created by Merc 1626
Hi
The old Merc 1626 is getting a bit tied so I am looking to update it with a slightly newer truck, the one I am considering is a 1990 S line advertised for sale in Griffith on trucksales.com, one of my employees had a quick look at it for me and he reckons that it is worth considering. The rego has run out and it is not fitted with a speed limiter will it need to be fitted with one to get Qld rego?
The current owner reckons it has fairly high diff ratios because it is good for 120km, I am happy with the high ratio diffs because I will be pulling light loads but I wouldn't like to cop too many speeding fines, the truck will be used mainly in South West Queensland and Northern New South Wales carting livestock and a bit of grain and wool.
The S line is fitted with a 400 Cummins and a 13sp box, there are no oil leaks, it does blow a bit of black smoke on start up but this disappears very quickly not sure about the clutch and the cooling system but I will get these checked out, the owner claims that it doesn't use any oil. I want to use it as a station truck doing between 10000 and 20000k's a year.
Do you blokes know of anything else I should get checked on it and do you think that speed limiters will become mandatory on all trucks in the near future?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152636 by Vic Rhodes
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Vic Rhodes.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152637 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Speed Limiters
I think you'll find that speed limiters have been "mandatory" to heavy vehicles, since about 1988.
I reckon you'll have to have one fitted to the vehicle, before you could register it.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
9 years 4 months ago #152638 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Speed Limiters
In Queensland, you may just squeeze it in as the compliance date for speed limiters was 1991.

If the powertrain limits the speed to 100kms, that is acceptable too and does not require the fitment of a limiter. ;)

But it begs the question, if it was registered without a limiter before, why would it need one now?

More
9 years 4 months ago #152639 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Speed Limiters
On personal experience only 4 years ago, my 1979 Roadboss had no speed limiter and was capable of 130+ km/h but in Queensland there is or was no requirement to retro-fit speed limiters. Same as the seat belts, and many other things which were introduced after the vehicle was made.
Unless legislation has changed in the last 4 years, you would not have to fit a speed limiter.
Cheers
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 4 months ago #152640 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Speed Limiters

here's a "copy & paste" from the link that Vic put Up;

Speed limiters

Speed limiters are devices that limit a vehicle

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 4 months ago #152641 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Well there Ya go, January 1991 on must have speed limiters, learned something new [ch128515]

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 4 months ago #152642 by Merc 1626
Replied by Merc 1626 on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Thanks for all your replies , I will certainly check with QLD Transport before I go much further , the old 1626 Merc I have doesn't need a limiter because it is virtually impossible to get 100 km/h out of it even down hill. The S line has been registered in NSW up until 2 months ago with no limiter fitted, I am unsure of the year but my brother in-law has an old Mack with no limiter fitted and it has full NSW rego. Thanks again for your help and I will do a bit of checking.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152643 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Speed Limiters
At the time the speed limiters became mandatory on new trucks I believe the speed limit for fitted trucks was raised to 100km/hr :Dwhile the rest were supposed to stick to the old 90km/hr limit. :( This was the carrot for old trucks to be retro fitted. Begs the question was anyone fined for doing 100 k's in a truck with no limiter?? :-?

More
9 years 4 months ago #152644 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Long time ago now, but my recollection is that trucks which didn't have limiters had their speed reduced to 90; those with limiters could put the 100 stickers on the back and do that speed. I can recall reading about a few getting done for having the signs without having the limiters, as well as the speeding fines.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds