Skip to main content

Speed Limiters

More
9 years 4 months ago #152645 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Following a couple of HIGH PROFILE Bus accidents in 1990, the Speed limit for ALL trucks was reduced to 90kmh.

And ALL new Trucks sold from the 1st of January 1991 HAD to be Speed limited..

You were allowed to travel on some roads at 100kmh if you were Speed limited, & displayed to "speed limited" signs.
If you weren't speed limited you were stuck at doing 90kmh!!
If you were travelling on a Non Designated 100kmh Road, the Speed limit was 90kmh (wether you were Speed limited or not)
Hence there were lots of Trucks displaying the signs to save being booked for exceeding 90kmh on a 100kmh designated road..
After quite a few years the Speed limit was Lifted to 100kmh on ALL roads (unless sign posted otherwise)

Hope I've remembered all this Correctly (& explained Myself clearly)... :-/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152646 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Speed Limiters
The early speed limiters were not very hi tech. I remember Scania ones where the accelerator would drop to the floor at 98 and no power till you dropped back to 95. Dangerous when trying to pass somebody.
But a Louisville I used to drive had a different system. You could turn the key off ( cable operated engine stop ) which disabled the limiter and get a run up at hills. Not that I ever did that.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152647 by
Replied by on topic Re: Speed Limiters
...those Scania's always gave me a heart attack when taking one from the dealer back to the paint shop....

....you tended to hit the limiter (bobtail) and you'd think the bloody thing had run dry in the tank....till the speed wound off and she picked up again ::) ::)

More
9 years 4 months ago #152648 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Speed Limiters
I drove MAN buses in the 90s that also had that problem, but quite often they would drop to less than 90. Quite embarrassing when trying to overtake someone and you just run out of power.

They also had a switch on the dash where you could set the limiter to any speed you wanted. If the posted limit was 80, just hit the switch when you got to that speed and you couldn't go any faster. Brilliant concept, but still had that problem of not releasing, although turning the switch to off did the trick.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152649 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Those 100kmh speed limited signs were good.
I remember being in a rigid doing 120 and an IPEC semi passing me and clearing off.
I laughed when i saw the 100 kmh speed limited sign on the back doors.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by clarkie383.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152650 by DaveG
Replied by DaveG on topic Re: Speed Limiters

The early speed limiters were not very hi tech. I remember Scania ones where the accelerator would drop to the floor at 98 and no power till you dropped back to 95. Dangerous when trying to pass somebody.
But a Louisville I used to drive had a different system. You could turn the key off ( cable operated engine stop ) which disabled the limiter and get a run up at hills. Not that I ever did that.

We had a couple of SAR's that had limiters fitted to them but we found if you set the turbo timer to 3 mins you could turn the key off and the speed limiter was disabled ;D, Just had to remember to turn the key on before the 3 mins or the motor would shut down :-?.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152651 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Or put a blown fuse in some limiters

More
9 years 4 months ago #152652 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Speed Limiters
Dave G,
Yeah I would probably forget to turn it back on again. But an extra 10 or 15ks made a big difference to getting up a hill.
Putting 100k limited stickers on a trailer is kind of flawed logic really, how does the trailer know how fast it is going :-X :-X

More
9 years 4 months ago #152653 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Speed Limiters
I'm pretty sure Perkins had a speed limiter connected to the end of the accelerator cable

More
9 years 4 months ago #152654 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: Speed Limiters
That one is foolproof and cannot be tampered with.

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds