Skip to main content

MAKE NOT KNOWN

More
14 years 7 months ago #15165 by Sarge
MAKE NOT KNOWN was created by Sarge
Aficionardo's,
a bit of a challenge.... I visited Kuala Lumpur earlier this year and saw lots of relativly modern trucks with modified wooden drivers cabs, the truck looks like a 911 Benz or a Deutz, there were several variations. I am a bit light on for pictures other than these two. There were prime movers, trays and tippers, often they had very simple wooden sides to the tray, a bit like our older military trucks had.

Doors are optional ::)

Why cut a perfectly good metal cab off and replace it with a rough timber job???

I dont know the right answer....

I M N T K !! :o

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #15166 by
Replied by on topic Re: MAKE NOT KNOWN
It's a Benz, that style is very popular in Malaysia.

This is going to show how old I am, but back in '73 I was handed a free air ticket and ordered to get on the bloody plane, spent 12 months having a ball over there and that style of truck was a brand new addition to the road system and boy, was it popular.

Reason why no doors, it was cheaper to buy, than a full metal jacket and 'cause they dont get any frost or snow over there, who needs the bloody things anyway.
Oh, another reason why the cab is made of wood, WHEN they prang the thing, only a matter of time of "when", it was easier to build a new one out of wood,, than bother to panel beat the full metal jacket.

Did a stupid exercise up in Malaysia and on the way back to Singapore, was the last truck in the convoy of about twenty, one of these half arse benzes decided to bag us up, now a big problem, it was raining and this D/H was carting dried fish. Now I dont know how many have ever smelt brand new, fresh from the bakery, pig $hit, well this WET dried fish was worse than that. Took a while for the idiot driver to realise that the smell was coming from that truck and when he did, well, that' fool' in the benz found out what the drain down the side of the road looked like.

regards greenie

More
14 years 7 months ago #15167 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: MAKE NOT KNOWN
the top pic is a TATA from India/Pakistan or somewhere like that the second pic is either a LS911 or LS1113, baby of the bonneted Merc family.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
14 years 6 months ago #15168 by Rob365
Replied by Rob365 on topic Re: MAKE NOT KNOWN
Wouldn't the Tata have been made under licence from M/Benz back then? Like Lada using Fiats in USSR??

More
14 years 6 months ago #15169 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: MAKE NOT KNOWN
Rob,

That's absolutely true and some still retain the MB appearence:

cvglobal.tatamotors.com/products/m&hv/rigidtruck/rigidtruck.asp

There's also Ashok Leyland where, I believe, production of the Leyland 680 continues...

Cheers,

T

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds