Skip to main content

Caption This

More
4 years 3 months ago #205831 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Caption This
Wait until you see a shipping container floating in the sea at night in a storm.

I assure no fun.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205832 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Caption This
That's not very ship shape.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205836 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Caption This
To steal and miss use a line from Peter, Paul and Mary:-
Little boxes, little boxes, all made of Ticky Tacky and they all look just the same.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 3 months ago #205839 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Caption This
but I tied them on with Telstra rope!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
4 years 3 months ago #205865 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Caption This
Containers at sea in a storm- Hey Zuffen, that might be a story you should tell us?

More
4 years 3 months ago #205870 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Caption This
China will not be accepting those containers of cardboard for recycling. Ooops, we just lost a few overboard captain. ;)

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
4 years 3 months ago #205872 by Zuffen
Way back in a prior life I purchased a 10metre Trimaran in Tooradin Victoria.

Living in Sydney meant it had to get from A to B.

Not phased I had my (then) wife and a work colleague (who had sailed in the Fastnet Race so knew a thing or two) to sail the beast to Lake Macquarie (Newcastle). Of course I had never made an Ocean passage on a yacht, let alone a Multi-hull.

We set off and all went well for the first 24 hours. The barometer dropped to some stupidly low figure and the wind arrived whilst heading past Lakes Entrance.

By late night we had made it to the NSW border in pretty good time, at 20+knots it gets places fast. By this time the seas were pretty scary and my mate had retired below thinking he wasn't going to see the morning and my (then) wife decided she was never going to see her kid again. So I had the helm to myself for the next 12 hours.

Around 3.00am I noticed a container ship hove to in the lee of Gabo Island (probably where I should have gone) and it was firing off star shells. I thought that looks interesting, glad I'm out here and not near him.

An hour or so later I spotted 4 containers going past at a pretty good speed. They floated with about 6" to a foot above the water.

I knew there was nothing I could do to avoid any others as you can't see too much at that time in a storm.

Well the Sun comes up and the crew puts their heads out and marvel at being alive.

We blasted up the coast to Bermagui and put into port.

My mate got off the boat and immediately went home and divorced his wife. I think I changed his life. Poor Michelle.

My (then) wife didn't hang around long either and I'm glad to say she did me the big favour and left.

The boat survived, I survived and when I sold the boat the speedo was still stuck at 22 knots!

So containers at see make me think just how lucky I am to be alive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, Lang, asw120, Southbound

More
4 years 3 months ago #205883 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Caption This
Remembering of course that somebody owned the contents of those containers, you know, all those items you spent months looking for and paid through the nose for, let alone the shipping fees.
Not to worry, sitting back at home - your stuff is coming now, it'll be here in three weeks . . .

MAYBE!? :unsure:

More
4 years 3 months ago #205888 by Zuffen
In my past life I was an Insure.

Tell me about losses and people expecting things to turn up.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205889 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Caption This
Container with three cars from America, dropped into water while unloading!!!

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds