Skip to main content

dreamers and doers

More
8 years 10 months ago #160440 by defective
dreamers and doers was created by defective
g'day all .. I thought this may be an interesting topic to discuss as there are feet planted firmly in both camps....and admittedly i'm a dreamer...

...it's all to do with either collecting trucks (dreamer), or restoring the bloody things (doer). There will be all kinds of reasons for preferring one over the other...mine being it's dead easy to collect (space permitting).... but there's no shortage of heartache and dollar burning to restore...

.....what's your thoughts ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160441 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: dreamers and doers
LOL I reckon most people have a foot in each camp on this one most of us have things we have started or things we have collected to start one day

One thing is true the best way to make a small fortune is start off with a big fortune then buy a toy to restore it will soon burn through some cash :D :D :D :D

and the other one shove enough 100's in the tank and you can fix anything :D :D

seeya

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
8 years 10 months ago #160442 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Personally, I fit into the dreamer side of the show.

At night if I dream about trucks & restoring them..............when I wake in the morning

and realise............... (thank the good lord) ............that it WAS only a dream, I am happy again.

........................Billy....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160443 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: dreamers and doers
...my first car was a good old FJ ute when i was sixteen and still at school....which promptly got pulled to a million pieces with the dream of a 350 Chev and full chassis large in my mind....

...after gaining my drivers license and going out with SilverStar...the resto caper took a definite back seat and eventually the poor old ute went to the tip ::) :'( :-*

...I swore and declared that exercise would never happen again, and to today i've never been quite ready to tackle a full blown restoration...for fear of history repeating :-[ :'(
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #160444 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Infective M80

RE: for fear of history repeating

U fear n Restoration ....... or ........ SilverStar

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzWEBkkvZrExcBQBLjRnIj7zu27KeaLm_eFKrVKM1iAJm-s7qJhg

LOL ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;)

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
8 years 10 months ago #160445 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Well, when I was a young bloke I fell in love (at first site) with.................an MGTC sports car.

Bought one when I was about 17. Drove it for a while , then did a full resto job , all mechanicals,

renewed the body wood work, upholstery, paint etc. It looked mickey mouse (even if I did say so myself).

At 21 I sold it to buy a block of land to build a house and get married.

Now I have never regretted getting hitched,....but....how I miss that car.

Came real close to getting another one a couple of times , but never quite made the grade.

I guess every body has some type of dream, some are lucky enough to have them come true.
...............Billy.................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160446 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Ever since I was a kid I liked big old trucks. When I got married we had a house three kids and were both working [wife night shift] plenty of money coming in. I bought a 1947 chev ute (not a big truck). I started a full resto, it was all finished apart from the cab I even bolted a garden chair on and drove it around garden- I was living the DREAM.
The kids got expensive in regard to time and money and I could not justify the ongoing cost. It was sold at a big loss. About 15 years later I brought a 1967 Bedford. I am nearly at the same stage and living the DREAM again. [you can see my resto in the restoration chat under Fills Bedford] I dont know if I am dreamer or doer- perhaps you can be both.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Fill.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160447 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Hi,
My first gonna do got spoiled by ADR compliance issues even before it got off the ground (thank goodness before I cut anything or spent irretrievable money on it).

I'm thinking now that buying a done job from a doer might be the way to go.
More money for the doer to continue doing summore and I get to drive the dream and make it my own with paint and fiddly details.

An old sailing axiom:
Boating gave me two of the happiest moments of my life.
First when I bought it,
Second when I sold it.

;D
-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160448 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Hello,
We have done a bit of this and after buying things I could not do myself such as motor parts, bearings, seals tyres, brake bits, maybe a window or radiator, upholstery, that's the dollars.
Having a good workshop to play in and not counting any of our time, it usually ends up costing a bit more than anyone would pay for it. Every project will be different but two of the trucks and the two cars were as above.
There is a lot of satisfaction in getting them going again.
Bobsboy, money and time wise buy restored.
Cheers, David.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by wouldyou.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160449 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: dreamers and doers

Well, when I was a young bloke I fell in love (at first site) with.................an MGTC sports car.

Bought one when I was about 17. Drove it for a while , then did a full resto job , all mechanicals,

renewed the body wood work, upholstery, paint etc. It looked mickey mouse (even if I did say so myself).

At 21 I sold it to buy a block of land to build a house and get married.

Now I have never regretted getting hitched,....but....how I miss that car.

Came real close to getting another one a couple of times , but never quite made the grade.

I guess every body has some type of dream, some are lucky enough to have them come true.
...............Billy.................

...stranger things have happened Billy, and your old MG could be just around the corner ! :o 8-)

...chuck up a few details ol' mate...these things don't go to God that easily ... cheers
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds