Skip to main content

dreamers and doers

More
8 years 10 months ago #160470 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Colin,
Over time the imperfections seem to fade, a bit of wear and tear appears, and you can stand beside a non critical [or maybe just polite] observer and appreciate your achievement.
Cheers, David.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160471 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Hey Colin , I agree with David , I think you are always overcritical of your own work , I know projects I have done myself .. (not many) ..I have always thought " that looks pretty average" and when mates have looked at it they think it looks great..so don't be too hard on yourself...and take that sign down as well... :)
Harleigh.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160472 by fxs80
Replied by fxs80 on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Col, tis all good, just say that's what l get for usin'
a cheap spray painter ;D ;D ;D ;D

1939 D2

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160473 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: dreamers and doers
...it seems to me, the pressure on to produce the most glossiest of finishes just takes that bit away from what an old truck really was...

...from about the late 1970's trucks started to appear in "2 pack" paint, but there has been an awful lot of alternative finishes applied to all kinds of old bangers beforehand and in the intervening years...air dried spraying enamel being the most prevalent and also the quickest to fade, but probably the most representative type of finish that most old trucks actually had...

...an enamel finish doesn't need to go all ugly looking if the truck can at least be shedded, and when it comes time for a polish, the paint finish comes up with that nice burnished look...nothing too glassy/glossy, but not all faded and chalky...and eventually after too many of these polishing jobs the primer can then start to show through....how cool is that look! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160474 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: dreamers and doers
defective phil, I totally agree with you about shiny and chrome the old trucks, I was trying to make it's paint to last a little longer than all the implements I have made over the years because after 12 or so months after painting you rub your hand over them and it powders on you hand and after 3 year it goes chalky, I was dreaming for it to look like it did the day Richard C drove it home from the show room in 1954 as a young bloke of 20, ( I was very proud- my first brand spanking new truck) Richard's own words.

So that's why I have to stop dreaming and start doin and get it done, Inter red, black chassis,no hub caps because it had none when it was new but with a couple of things like wireless aerial, handles to help you in because the holes are there so have to be fill up, most of all the Swan has to go on, I painted the interior in Acrylic, very happy with that,

MAY 2008

Am I a Dreamer or Doer
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160475 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: dreamers and doers
HMMMMMMMM time will tell Colin :-? :-?

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160476 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Hi Colin .. acrylic lacquer would be a good external finish as it's very durable and takes a fair bit to polish up. You can "regulate" the amount of shine/sheen by how much effort you want to expend on the polish job, with a fine paper wet rub and machine buffing bringing out the best finish or just hand cutting or even only a polish job for a lesser shine...

...Acrylic needs very good surface preparation for proper adhesion and unfortunately can't be used over reasonably fresh enamel (the paint will "fry") but it will be the best "easy" paint job for an average bloke, with long lasting surface qualities and suitability for blending in and touching up. Hope that helps a bit.....cheers
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160477 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Resto are personal taste myself, the hours you put in and the satisfaction at the end are the pay off and going to a rally or show and some one says you've done a good job it adds to the inner satisfaction and my resto was therapy as my Indoors was going through breast cancer treatment keep my mind off the other things for a while each day

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160478 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: dreamers and doers
Hi,

re: defective #33,
Actually, my favourite is dull flat worn red over exposed primer and see it as irrefutable proof of a "garanteed geneuwine" WYSIWYG truck.

Example Mairjimmy's fine pic in Post 34.

bwwik?

-b

It's only original once?

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160479 by Hemi74
Replied by Hemi74 on topic Re: dreamers and doers
To become a doer all you have to do is dream of theorem finished and get a mental picture in your head of completion then head down ass up and into it, I must admit , I do drop projects , but a problem unfinished is always a problem and annoys me untill I finish it lol

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds