Skip to main content

Border hopping

More
14 years 6 months ago #15633 by atkipete
Border hopping was created by atkipete
Is anyone familiar with the old practice of "border hopping" ie deliberately consigning a load to a town just over the border then re sending it on to its destination. Well before my time but an old fella was telling me about it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #15634 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Border hopping

AtkiPete
GuddayM8

Now th@ jogz me memory az I haz me afternoon smoko
LOL

A local joker not far from me Had a chook farm n twaz into sellin eggs
but to sell eggs in Vic U gotta go thru the Victorian Egg Board But interstse eggs B ok
So this joker got into truck n he'd load the eggs on board drive over the closest border (Echuca) Do 'U'ee n bring back home as interstate eggs
all twaz well until the egg board got on 2 him after a few years n claimed th@ they weren't load interestate
so this joker start d cart m over the border @ Echuca unloaded said eggs n reloaded n cart d m back to melbourne to sell as he pleased as they were interstste eggs n not controlled bythe Vic Egg Board

SoEyeRestMyCaseU'reHonor

Border hopin twaz all todo with the Transport Regulation Board
As many General purpose loads U had to buy a permit from the TRB
N @ times they did not allow U to transport goods as it could go by rail so the truckr would drive across the border n do a 'U'ee n then deliver the load in the town of his choice in Victoria claimin it came from interststate n there twaz a 'FREE TRADE' agrrement btween states

ButEyeDOSt&2BCorrected

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago #15635 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Border hopping
Yes, That was how my man remembers it. I think the load was moved to another truck at a place like Mount Gambier to keep things sweet. Many customers did not want to use the railways because of the time taken, especially if it had to go on a branch line with 2 trains a week.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15636 by aussie l plate
Replied by aussie l plate on topic Re: Border hopping
francis transport from Corowa/Rutherglen used too do it too

More
14 years 6 months ago #15637 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Border hopping
Did a lot a driving with my big brother an O/D pulling for Clive Brothers out of Newmarket, (in the Atkinson below) we used to load cattle at Finley in New South Victoria??? Dont & didnt really understand the rules, but we were only allowed to cart stock in Victoria. :-/

Will have to ask him to get the whole story.

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15638 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Border hopping
Not exactly sure why we need state governments anyhow. It doesnt make sense in an area like transport to have half a dozen road authorities all making up their own rules.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds