Skip to main content

Getting Tyres off the rim

More
6 years 10 months ago #184754 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
I remember when the HCVCA did a run to the first Brisbane truck show, the truck tyre place in one of the towns we passed through could not bread a tyre off a rim, our own "Terry the Tyre Changer", Terry Lowe, showed them how to do it with their own tools.

A few weeks ago, a good mate's house burnt to the ground. In the workshop underneath, he had two rims with brand new 900 x 20's on them, ready to go and pick up his latest purchase. After the fire, all that was left on the rims was a handful of rubber and a few wire beads.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #184756 by Mrsmackpaul

Swishy wrote: oil on rubber makes the rubber gro
petrol on rubber makes the rubber gro
we use water as a lubricant
place a plank on tyre hard up againt the steel rim n park a heavy beast onit (no .... not the mrs)
normally the tube has vulcanized it self to the inside wall of the tyre
if U can hook a compressor on the tube valve n suk the air back out of tube it can @ times pull the wall of the tyre in
other than visiting your New Bute tyre ..... shop drive the beast around the paddock for a few hours/days/weeks til the bead breaks away from the rim

it will B tireless

LOL

cya

ยง

Hey Swish man I wonder if the rubber becomes softer with petrol on and maybe helps to make it slip past, I dont doubt it makes it grow as it changes the rubber for sure but it does seem to make it easier to break a rusted bead

I wonder if you could hook the air hose to the valve to vacuum on a motor to suck all the air our ???

Dunno about this chain saw business Im to much of a girly man for that LOL

seems we are raising more questions than answers :lol: :lol:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 10 months ago #184758 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
Mrs
Gudday m8

me aint no xpurt
RE: rubber becomes softer with petrol
wen we foolin round with a leaky air doodadd we remove the rubber 'O'rings etc n place in petrol for a few minutes n then ressemble ..... seems ta make m stop leak n a bit
tiz only a makeshift fix till new 'O' can B sauced
therefor: guessn the rubber tyre bead may gro sum n make it tighter .... but mayB softer

RE: I wonder if you could hook the air hose to the valve to vacuum on a motor to suck all the air our

Thnk n th@z wot eye ment

LOL
cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 10 months ago #184759 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
OK Sarge

after 12 replies

Lettuce kno how U did it

LOL

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 10 months ago #184765 by mercskeepmeinajob
Had some old tyres 8.25 x 20 on a White Superpower Bus that wouldn't hold more than atmospheric air pressure and had been lying in the scrub for the previous 30 years.

Tried all the things Bead Breaker/Slide Hammer, another bus parked on rim, backhoe bucket teeth pushing against the bead.
Best thing I found as others have said is the petrol round the rim, let it soak in a bit it does soften the rubber and then put a bit more on - then light the bastard. Was able to get rid of quite a few things at the same time. Half consumed paint tins, old benches, even melted a caravan down to a blob of aluminium.

Suggest it is done at night and late though as smoke from all that old air in the tyres does tend to block out moonlight and the fire was a bit strong to be doing marshmellows in. Having to dodge those exploding paint tins flying everywhere was fun too. Was a little worried when I heard a siren nearby though, but obviously they were going to a much bigger fire. :whistle:

Main thing was the rims were like they had just come off the factory line as Lang has said with only a few wire bead rings to get rid of, was the easiest tyre removal i've ever done.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184791 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
Thank you all for the ideas and Chocs for the caution. I am half tempted to try the bush fire approach, but the kangaroo huggers up the hill have got me a bit windy, apparently they have heard loud and suspicious bangs along the creek just in dark :side: :side: :side: :side: .

I will start with a phone call to the big tyre joint and see how much hard earned they want to just break the beads.

I have tried chain saws on car tyres, I put them around little trees I planted to keep the rabbits off. Works a treat, but for got to go back and get them two years later, now 20 years later starting to ring bark the trees and apparently unsightly to other residents. Chain saw not half as good as the 9" angle grinder. Plenty of smoke, and reciprocating saw with hack saw blade to cut the hard to get into bits.
Maybe ........ :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: but it is hard work...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184794 by Mrsmackpaul
When we dairy farmed at Kerang our neighbors farm had tyres around trees that were left on for to long and they found a hole saw thru both walls and then a chain threaded thru and pulled really tight with a tractor made the tyre a lot quicker easier to cut

Dont know how or why it did but did hundreds maybe a thousands of trees like this

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #184799 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
Now Sarge, we know you're gonna get those tyres off, we got faith in you. And when the tires are off and the rims are nice and clean, mount the new tires with Freylube. Also paint it all over the rim pieces. That way, 30 years from now when you go to change out those tires, you won't have all this fuss and bother. (Tyres? tires? tars? whatever...)
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Skipjack. Reason: proofread, dammit!

More
6 years 10 months ago #184801 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Getting Tyres off the rim
We had the same but was koala huggers, some of the locals got on the piss one Sunday and decided it would be a good idea to get perpetual covenants put on their land that anyone that owned it would have to plant koala friendly trees.
Biggest stirrer had 2 trees on his 5 acres !! In total, not just for the drop bears.
We have an unmade but dedicated road on one boundary, they wanted it locked up for koalas.
450 mtrs long x 20 mtrs wide, cost me 12 grand for a "koala expert" to identify that there was only 2 trees in there that they used.
When I knocked on doors and pointed out that they had devalued their land by at least 50% the stock answer was "I never thought of that" Attitudes change quick after that.
So, I understand where you are coming from with kangaroo huggers !!

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184821 by rockcrawler31
I have had this issue in the past, and not being one for sketchy methods likely to land me either dead or on the terrorist registry I used good old elbow grease. I used a jigsaw to cut the old tyres of as close to both beads as I could to get rid of the bulk of the weight. Then used a die grinder and burr to cut the bead nearly thru and weaken it. Half a dozen decent sized punches and proto bars belted into the bead with a hammer and eventually they popped off

I've got the truck

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds