Skip to main content

Can you tow a full rego trailer with red plate truck

More
6 years 9 months ago #185007 by d23j
Had a problem towing a trailer with a red plate truck taking a trailer to get repaired to go on red plates and wondering if anyone has had any problems. They cancelled the red plate and fined me for driving unregistered truck,,,, it was not my truck!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #185010 by atkipete
My understanding is that the club plates only allow personal use of a vehicle. However I have had other people drive my club plate vehicle ie going to an event etc and driven other folks trucks.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185019 by Vic Rhodes
I would think (But Don't know) that; Provided the logbook was up to date & there was NO hire or reward involved..
That there shouldn't be an issue..
Well worth following up I would Think...
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Vic Rhodes. Reason: spelling

More
6 years 9 months ago #185043 by Sarge
Sounds very wrong to me. Hire/Reward is the only constraint I am aware of. We all know of blokes who tow their near new caravan along to a show, no questions and how many blokes with Semis tow one of the work trailers with toys on board.

Sounds like you found an eager beaver trying to make a name for them self. How did they cancel your red plate.... that is beyond the capability of a copper on the road. (They might seize the plate if they thought it was stolen or the Registration had run out) but other than that it would be a paper chase to Vicroads... Vicroads patrol officers on the other hand may have other options/powers.

Are you sure the red plate was up to date, membership paid etc. As far as I know Vicroads do NOT have the Club Plate data available for Police checking real time over the radio or by computer, it requires and email to Vicroads and manual search and reply etc.... Not something that is done roadside.

Perhaps we need more information about your interaction. In the meantime get your pen out and start writing to the boss of the source of your fine and follow the instruction on the back of the ticket and lodge an objection.

Keep us posted.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 9 months ago #185050 by Gryphon
Hi,

If you look at the Legislation or Statutory Rule deemed current by the Victorian Government you will find there is a lot of difference between what is law and what various myths and legends interpret as the law.

www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_No...026%20authorised.pdf

If you start on Page 133 you can read all about the Club Permit Scheme and it is all about the vehicle being safe and part of a Club and the things you must do like fill out the log book. There is no mention of restrictions on towing, business or private use, hire or reward al of which seem to be added on by Vicroads, AOMC and Clubs interpretations.

As far as removing plates there seems to be quite a process to go through unless the vehicle is deemed to be unsafe in which case an Officer of the law can remove the plates on the spot.

I am not a legal person so everyone can have a read and make their own interpretation of what is written.

Terry

More
6 years 9 months ago #185058 by Beaver
AFIK, In NSW, as long as both vehicle and trailer are being used within their respective conditions, there should be no issues. Cars on club plates can tow fully registered trailers, and cars on full rego can tow trailers on club plates.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
6 years 9 months ago #185092 by mammoth
Beaver you are correct, however this only applies if both vehicle and trailer are registered in NSW. For interstaters there is an issue with insurance. Lang had a near miss with highway patrol on this issue so would be best to get the oil from him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beaver

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds