Skip to main content

A massive 108m load on the move. 30 January 2018

More
6 years 3 months ago #190890 by Morris
At 6.15 this evening, I passed it parked for the night on the side of Princes Freeway near Pakenham. Rubberneckers slowed the inbound traffic to no more than 20k and I counted twelve axles at the rear of the trailer also. I could not check the front ones because I was driving in heavy traffic. Rubberneckers also slowed traffic on the OPPOSITE side of the freeway. There were five Mack prime movers with it. Rex (whom I have never met) would probably say that one of those trucks whose name translated to Latin is "I roll" could do it.

On my way home at 9.01 PM, I got caught up with the rubberneckers on the opposite side of the freeway. It took me seventeen minutes to get past it at speeds ranging from ten k to less that five kilometres per hour. It was STILL parked, obviously overnight or maybe until Monday morning. Rubbernecking men, women and children lined the freeway for up to three kilometres before the unit. I don't know what they expected to see three kilometres away in the dark but maybe they planned to stay there all night or all weekend. Their vehicles lined both sides of the freeway and there were even several parked in the median strip. What an opportunity for a Police Officer with a ticket book!

What I find amazing is how did they get it from the docks in Melbourne up to the power station when it was new, at least 40 - 50 years ago? Did they use the three Thornycroft Antars (or Mighty Antars, depending on which reference book you use) imported by the Snowy Mountains Scheme? There was no freeway in those days and the highway went up the Berwick hill, which although the gradient has been eased, is still a formidable climb. I remember news articles in the late 1960's of the Thornycrofts being used to transport loads to the La Trobe Valley power stations.

PS. do you want to buy a Thornycroft Nubian or two? PM me.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190897 by atkipete
Why not repair the generator here?

More
6 years 3 months ago #190898 by Lang
Rex, DNO et al

I also found there is a writing time limit but I think this is common to nearly all sites. Lots of commercial (air line booking etc) and government fill in the form type sites also time out in as little as 10 minutes.

Sometimes if I have to go look for a book or search another web site half way through I just do "copy" of my text and if it is gone when I return "paste" in a new reply and carry on for another 20 minutes or so. If you are writing War and Peace it is probably a good idea to do the copy/paste thing about every quarter of an hour - go back to the forum, reload and start another reply, pasting in your completed stuff before proceeding with more.

It is a pain in the a.. but very few people go for longer than 20 minutes writing a post and my computer guru says it has something to do with people occupying the band space on sites and avoiding forgotten open connections.

Lang

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190903 by dno
Thanks Lang,
I tried to cut and paste a link, pushed submit and just got tossed to the
top of the thread page. Happened more than once, in the end I just gave up.
Was all within a few minutes, not sure if it was the forum or my puter.
Has happened more than once recently.

dno.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by dno.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190905 by Lang
Of course, if you know you will have a long article, or it is going to take you some time to write, you can just do it all on Word. This allows you to take as long as you like to read, edit and add. You can do all that fancy stuff like centreing and putting in fancy script or colours to make you look smart. When you have all your ducks in a row you can just copy and past to the forum either new topic or reply.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulc20

More
6 years 3 months ago #190907 by hayseed
There is a Time limit (Can't remember how long it is) & you're logged out if there's being no activity for what ever the time limit is.

Terry's better qualified than i to explain It..

What I do is; Open a new Tab & have the Forum on 2 pages , & go back to the one I'm NOT typing on & hit Refresh (F5) every few minutes to keep the connection alive..

Hope this helps..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 3 months ago #190909 by Tired Iron
Why not repair the generator here?

Maybe don't have the gear here to handle something that size.
And if we ever did, it's likely been scrapped anyway.
Cheers

More
6 years 3 months ago #190914 by Roderick Smith
The opening post was the best description of the logistics which I have read. Supposedly this one is for overhaul and return.
There is a paywalled HS article about the best vantage points, but I am on restricted and slow internet while boating.

Victorians can't win: one party privatising; the other shutting coal prematurely. Wait until the green replacements exist.

Roderick

More
6 years 3 months ago #190916 by rex
Swishy mate
Will try and be quick
6 prime movers at 24.50 tonne each 147
2 x 12 axle Cometto trailers near enough to 5 tonnes per axle 120
Beams and headers from memory 120
Think that adds up to 387 tonnes
While you ask more tare than payload
I ask 24 axle lines with 496 tonnes 20.66 tonnes per axle on Victorian roads unbelievable !
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: dno

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 months ago #190931 by Swishy
ReXman
Gudday m8
thanx fir the info
Looks like a huge circus on the move
the Q:? on everyones lips
Hoo cartd it down to LoyYang from day 1 n me feel sure it was less wheels way back wen
cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds