Skip to main content

SCG Gearbox: Pics?

More
14 years 5 months ago #19973 by Tatra
SCG Gearbox: Pics? was created by Tatra
G'day All,

The 8F2R SCG boxes which were fitted to some heavier Atkinsons and Scammells were mentioned on a number of threads. Does anyone have a pic of what the gearchange quadrant looked like?

Did the contraption look like this?

That's a pic of an Israeli Leyland Royal Tiger, now in Burma (the Burmese bought a lot of old Israeli Royal Tigers when they pensioned them off. Rest of the pics here (Hebrew only) www.egged.co.il/main.asp?lngCategoryID=6571 ), the gearchange (or should I say air valve controller) is clearly visible. Obviously that's the 5sp.

Any idea?

Reason I'm asking is it has been said here and on BLB ( www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-bl...ctors-down-unde.html ) one of the reasons there were so many troubles with these boxes was people did not know how to use them, but surely the set-up on the buses was one of the easier ones to operate...

Ignorant minds want to know ;)

Thanks in advance for any replies,

T

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19974 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: SCG Gearbox: Pics?
That's exactly what it looks like. The 10 speed scammell has a red switch on top of the gear lever to allow low/high changes as the gear change pedistal had only six slots. 5 forward & 1 reverse. With a short lession very easy to use and done with care should be a good thing. I will post a photo for you in a week or so. 8-)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
14 years 4 months ago #19975 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: SCG Gearbox: Pics?
Is it a five speed plus splitter, or a 5 speed with range change ? I know the four or five speed ones in the buses were reliable but I heard of problems with the 10 speed.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19976 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: SCG Gearbox: Pics?
Pete, no range change, as switch on top of gear selector is splitter. Is pneumatic control and Must not be used with air less than 80psi (gets it's self cross theaded?) Was very reliable in busses but had no pumped oil to an oil cooler so sustained high speed with heavy load may have caused problems. Remember no synthetic oil in them days. Sounds like the job in the Atkis was a different arrangement altogether

More
14 years 4 months ago #19977 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: SCG Gearbox: Pics?
Yes I am just ooking at a photo of one of the old Snowy Monutains Atkis and I can just see some big setup with 6 air lines high up on the steering column. Cant see that much but i dont think it is trailer brakes.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19978 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: SCG Gearbox: Pics?
G'Day All,

Thanks for all the answers - busntruck, that pic would be much appreciated ;)

Cheers,

T

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds