Skip to main content

Let’s see some rides and loads

More
5 years 4 months ago #197345 by Rusty54
Hey Zuffen,

The route map is of a trip my Dad Phil made in May 2017 in his Austin, travelling with his cousin Norm from Colbinabbin in an original model T pickup.
They officially started together from Red Cliffs, North Western Vic where we live, headed to Broken Hill, side trip to Silverton, on up to Packsaddle, Tibooburra, Cameron's Corner, Innamincka (where the T lost a wheel via a broken hub-one week wait for parts), then on to Birdsville before heading back South through No Man's Land to Maree, Copely, Cradock, Peterborough, Burra, Morgan, Renmark then home to Red Cliffs. A lot of little towns in between obviously .....
The trip took about a month and they enjoyed themselves so much they did a similar trip a couple of months back. This time starting from Colbinabbin, they headed to Temora for the vintage air show before heading North West past the Rabbit Trap Hotel and as far up as Lightning Ridge before heading West to Bourke then South through Cobar, on to Broken Hill and down through Menindie and Pooncarie before arriving home to Red Cliffs again a month later.
Pic below is from the day they left on their 2017 trip to Birdsville.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #197346 by Rusty54
And here's a topical pic of the Austin the day we picked it up in Wentworth, NSW with the S-Line. The Austin had no brakes but it fired up nicely after a bit of a play and a tickle and we drove it on.
Remember Dad saying the gearbox felt like brand new!!! Probably because it had only travelled 5000 miles :woohoo:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197410 by 64 Merc
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197411 by 64 Merc
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by IHScout.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197471 by Lang
Old Commer on the way back from Newcastle yesterday. The trailer on the back is a WW2 McGrath 24 foot to go behind a k5 or k6 Inter.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 4 months ago #197488 by Rusty54
This is a fresh load, trip to Robinvale and Boundary Bend earlier in the week to pick up a '77 Nissan/Datsun 3.5 tonne truck and an MQ Patrol Ute......double piggy back style :)

The electric winch ran out of steam on the first attempt getting them on the deck.....

I'm going to do a separate post about the Datsun truck I picked up, but does anyone reading this know much about these little trucks? It runs a 120hp Nissan petrol 6, cam in block version of the OHC cam motor in my '77 Datsun 240k........I think :unsure:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, roKWiz

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197494 by JOHN.K.
You d be looking at the 4.0L six fitted to the early Patrol...............called the P motor,85.7x114.3.(1960-1982)..............probably same bore and stroke as the Chev.6...........the 2.4 ohc is completely different.....EDIT...wasnt the truck called the "Caball"
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 4 months ago #197506 by Rusty54

JOHN.K. wrote: You d be looking at the 4.0L six fitted to the early Patrol...............called the P motor,85.7x114.3.(1960-1982)..............probably same bore and stroke as the Chev.6...........the 2.4 ohc is completely different.....EDIT...wasnt the truck called the "Caball"

Hi John, I wasn't asking about the Patrol at all, I know what they are.
The mystery truck is the Nissan/Datsun cabover, I haven't had a chance to go right over it yet and get the details off the compliance plates, will do that today.
There aren't any Caball badges, just the Nissan badge on the front and and a 3.5 tonne badge that goes on the doors.
To look at the motor, it reminds me of the OHC 2.4L. in my 240k......

More
5 years 4 months ago #197509 by 235mack
1966-1970 Nissan / Datsun C80 3.5 ton truck. Petrol engine is a H30 2974cc 6 cyl. OHV producing 120 hp ( when new) also produced with a SD33 Diesel 3246cc with 95 hp

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197512 by roKWiz

Rusty54 wrote: This is a fresh load, trip to Robinvale and Boundary Bend earlier in the week to pick up a '77 Nissan/Datsun 3.5 tonne truck and an MQ Patrol Ute......double piggy back style :)]
I'm going to do a separate post about the Datsun truck I picked up, but does anyone reading this know much about these little trucks? It runs a 120hp Nissan petrol 6, cam in block version of the OHC cam motor in my '77 Datsun 240k........I think :unsure:

Don't know a lot about these Nissans but I still see a few running around Wangaratta, Victoria. Bonnet reminds me of an AC Mack.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by roKWiz.

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds