More
4 years 9 months ago #201866 by oliver1950
I found this on the net,they specialize in Unimogs. Could be worth a look
www.unidan.com.au/

You can't have too many toys!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201867 by Lang
Here are some videos of these little blokes in action.

The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, 180wannabe

More
4 years 9 months ago #201870 by wee-allis
When I moved from the bush to Sydney in the early '70s, a mob called De Martin and Gasperini ,(or similar), had a concrete pump mounted on a Unimog chassis. It had been cut at the back of the cab and the pump mounted between two extended chassis rails. The Mog was just driven about in front wheel drive from job to job. At the time I thought it was very ingenious.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201872 by JOHN.K.
The early Mogs with the rounded front had the 190 car motor in them,and could be had with a petrol Benz car motor ,too.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201880 by effpeetee
Wow, some great video clips there.

The history of this unimog is it was purchased new and used at the Pallottine Aboriginal Mission in the North of WA. The Pallottine's are a German Catholic group so I guess they purchased what they knew about from Germany.
It was used to fetch supplies from the coast and transport them to the mission, as well as tractor duties around the mission.
It was purchased and rescued in 1982 from the scrapyard at the mission site by the then mechanic in Halls Creek. He has now sold it to me as he has too many higher priority projects to do.

It has been raided for stuff over the years at the mission scrap heap.
Front engine crossmember has been cut out with an oxy, front pulley missing from engine, not sure what else should be there.
Its missing, generator, regulator, fuse holders, bonnet, lights, LHS door, spare wheel , battery box, seats and mounts, some interior tin work around engine, all the hood bows, canvas, paint, badges (apparently the merc star was pinched by the truckie who carted it to Perth-is one of you guys going to own up!)

I plan to start on it next year. Trying to gather information at this stage. I would really like to know of another so I can photograph and measure stuff to remake what is missing.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201919 by wouldyou
Another German link.
In 1932 Hans Bertram and Adolph Klausmann were attempting a circumnavigation of the Globe in a Fokker seaplane. They were off course and landed on the NW WA coast with little fuel remaining, following making a raft with the floats and a sail they stayed in a cave and were in a very bad way.
After 39 days they were discovered by a native from the Drysdale River Mission’
A friend of mine farmed adjacent to the Tardun Farm School, a Catholic Mission South West of Geraldton and has a Deutz tractor he purchased from them, this tractor was one of two given to the Drysdale Mission by the German Government in appreciation of the rescue of the airmen.
The tractors were of little use in the Kimberleys and sent to Tardun.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by wouldyou.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201950 by Morris
As I predicted, you received lots of information. It is amazing what is out there.

If you had included the history you knew of the vehicle when you first posted, it would have saved Swishy and myself making the wrong suggestions but would have stopped Swishy saying that I could have that sip of red wine. I did enjoy it, though!

This Forum is aimed mainly at enthusiasts and restorers of trucks. It is not aimed at working transport operators although some are members. Many members (myself included) have never driven a truck as a job, although I have held a Heavy Combination (Semi trailer) licence for many years, so you are not likely to reach whoever stole the Mercedes star. An enthusiast is not likely to take such a thing as they would know that if someone was paying to have a vehicle transported, they would certainly value such an emblem. Mercedes stars in different sizes do come up on market sites such as ebay and you may be able to get one there although I realise it is annoying to have to pay to replace something that should be yours. I am currently searching various sites, looking for badges for three different vehicles!

I wish you well in searching for parts and even more information to help you restore an extremely rare and worthwhile vehicle.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 9 months ago #201958 by raafy
My father worked on these when he worked for TAZI on Stradbroke Island in the 50's & 60's

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY
The following user(s) said Thank You: effpeetee, Lang, GlobeRoamer

More
4 years 9 months ago #201971 by effpeetee
Any chance you know what happened to the Stradbroke unimogs. I imagine the bodies are not much more than rust. But some of the mechanicals should still exist.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201974 by JOHN.K.
All the Tazi stuff ended up in Cliff Ladbrokes yard......we bought all the Studebakers and Blitz 6x6 s off him.........rest was just masses of rust............lots of new Ford blitz spares too,new inside ,rusted half away outside.........I sold the last Ford diff and gearbox about 2 years ago.....I d say anything left would have been cleaned up 30 odd years ago ,when the greenies got active over there opposing sand mining.

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds