Skip to main content

ATKINSON

More
14 years 3 months ago #20809 by JnrMack
Replied by JnrMack on topic Re: ATKINSON
G'day Bruce. That article on starting Gardners would be great. I was gonna ask for help on that soon. From what the owner told me the motor ran beautifully before she parked it so hopefully its still ok. I think i'll pass on the diff centre though, ill give it to Bayswater Diff's. It should be ok. Just a clean up. Also if you look at the interior pic you will notice the dash has Acco gauges/switches and warning lights. Are the factory 1's just old school that where used on all old trucks of the era or specificly Atkinson???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20810 by Atki-vated
Replied by Atki-vated on topic Re: ATKINSON
G'day - I'll scan the Gardner article and I've got an in cab pic of a MK1 Atki cab which looks like its got original gauges - it's on my USB at work so will post it and the Gardner stuff tomorrow. :D

Cheers
Bruce

More
14 years 3 months ago #20811 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: ATKINSON
Bruce, would also like to see your article (stuck injector pump plungers seem to be common with stood leyland 350 motors) - is it too big to post?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 3 months ago #20812 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: ATKINSON

Jnr
GuddayM8

Nice find n rescue
I can remember CathRon drag n all the rd gear round with th@ beast

With it loaded on the hook bin/tray looks to B very hi, specially round Melb to snag wires n branches

But U got er dun

WellDun

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 3 months ago #20813 by JnrMack
Replied by JnrMack on topic Re: ATKINSON
G'day Swish, you hit the nail on the head there mate, it was a nightmare getting it home. I was going to call you to get it home with your tilt tray but my mate with the truck ensured me he could do it.
The truck has no brakes, they been backed of so it can be moved. So it is held on by chains only, i lost 5 years of my life when he was hoisting it on, it was on such an angle being lifted i @$% myself when the chain slipped a notch and the whole rig moved 3 inches.
Then the drive from Eltham to Dingley began, we didn't think it would so high but we caught about a 3 optus wires until i attacked the exhaust with a hammer.
And being so top heavy it was rocking on the whole Eastlink, my friend laughed the whole thing of but me in my hungover state didn't find it funny.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20814 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: ATKINSON
Hello, This looks a good restorer, Injector pump plungers can be checked by taking covers off and working pump levers, prise them down if stuck, then make sure rack moves. David.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20815 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: ATKINSON
Jnr, Bob Addison has one of similar vintage at Beaufort and I am sure it does not have the inter gauges... some one has done a swap/changeover... Bob was not happy with the kirkstall diff either as was very slow, our earlier model had an Eaton diff with an ok top speed (downhill tail wind etc) of I think 55 mph, just a wisker slower than a 1418 benz, it was a good day if we rounded one up.... :D
you have done extremely well getting this one.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20816 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Replied by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman on topic Re: ATKINSON
Lovely find Jnr Mack, looks a neat compact little truck thgat looks a lot easier to restore than some (except for that rare diff). Good luck with the Kirkstall diff. My ERF Bogie Kirkstall's are T48 with diff locks, 5.65:1, & deep reduction on the front of the first one. My back Kirkstall is also busted & I may have suitable spares in about 6 weeks for it if you are committed to fix yours as my axles are good. Even if you decided to swap it out, maybe your centre suits mine, what ratio is yours & what does the plate say at the back?
There is a swith on your dash (which all looks very organised), up top just to right of Centre. Is it a diff lock I assume?
Good find, Stephen

Kind Regards

More
14 years 3 months ago #20817 by 240 Gardner
Replied by 240 Gardner on topic Re: ATKINSON

G'day - I'll scan the Gardner article and I've got an in cab pic of a MK1 Atki cab which looks like its got original gauges - it's on my USB at work so will post it and the Gardner stuff tomorrow. :D

Cheers
Bruce

I've got some here that may help too:

The first is a Mk.1 RP that was owned by a guy called Graham Anderson, and featured in the Atkinosn magazine in 1969. It looks pretty much like the Smiths U.K. gauges, except the speedo, and it has the Bluemels red sprung wheel of that time.

This next photo is one of Atki Pete's, I think - it must be later because it has the steering wheel fitted to the U.K. Mk.2 cab from 1972 onwards, and again shows pretty much the same set of dials that you'd expect in a U.K. Atki, apart from the rev counter

And finally, here's an interior shot of the RP cab that made it to the U.K. - definitely all U.K. spec, but it may well have been fitted out over here, as the cab came out of the crate without any of the lights fittings and so on, and so might have had all the electrics installed in Preston

More
14 years 3 months ago #20818 by Atki-vated
Replied by Atki-vated on topic Re: ATKINSON
G'day Jnrmack,

Starting a Gardner article for you and anyone else interested. ;)
Someone sent this to me years ago and I thought it would be handy one day, finally that day has arrived ;D

PART ONE

PART TWO

Sorry 'bout the file size, not sure who authored this but seems to know his Gardners

Enjoy

Time to create page: 0.609 seconds