Skip to main content

ATKINSON

More
14 years 4 months ago #20829 by 240 Gardner
Replied by 240 Gardner on topic Re: ATKINSON
Ah yes, I recognise that photo, since I have the negative and have posted it on the internet ;)

That is FC29941, the very last Atkinson built in the U.K., a 'Defender' with a 6LXB Gardner and 6-speed David Brown - very traditional! This was April 1975.

Behind it is a row of Seddon Atkinson 400 Series, essentially the Atkinson range but fitted with a rot-prone biscuit tin of a cab. The propensity to rust lost a lot of customer goodwill, as did the introduction of some Seddon componentry, such as front axles.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #20830 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: ATKINSON
I am surprised they were still using that cab in 1975, the Aussies and Kiwis were having major problems with it in the early 60s and working on a replacement. Haven't seen one of the UK Mk11 ones in person but understand there were some improvements.

More
14 years 4 months ago #20831 by stradair
Replied by stradair on topic Re: ATKINSON
With a very special cab made in Portugal :
[IMG

More
14 years 3 months ago #20832 by 240 Gardner

With a very special cab made in Portugal :

Nice find!

More
14 years 3 months ago #20833 by 240 Gardner

I am surprised they were still using that cab in 1975, the Aussies and Kiwis were having major problems with it in the early 60s and working on a replacement. Haven't seen one of the UK Mk11 ones in person but understand there were some improvements.

The Mk.2 U.K. cab appeared late in 1967, and was higher, wider and stronger than the Mk.1, which is basically the one that you chaps got. There's virtually nothing interchangeable between them, even though they look broadly similar. I think people were starting to lose interest by 1975, though - we'd had the F86 Volvo and Scania Vabis LB76 since 1967.....

Having said that, the Mk.2 came to the fore because the Viewline was too radical for the customers - when it was first shown, the Mk.2 was first described as an "alternative to the Viewline".

Of course, we were into the motorway age by then too, so we weren't shaking them to bits the same!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #20834 by stradair
Replied by stradair on topic Re: ATKINSON
A seldom Atkinson with german Krupp cab :
[IMG

More
14 years 3 months ago #20835 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: ATKINSON
A Seddon Atkinson, or a seldom seen Atkinson ? I rather like the Portuguese one.

14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #20836 by
Replied by on topic Re: ATKINSON
Hi Stradair

Thats a fine looking cab, but what a bad wiper setup.
There is a massive unwiped area.

Have you any idea where else this cab was used ?

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #20837 by 240 Gardner

A Seddon Atkinson, or a seldom seen Atkinson ? I rather like the Portuguese one.

Only a handful of these 'Continental' Atkis were built, in 1969. Atkinson Vehicles (Europa) in Antwerp was only in existence for a very short time. It seems the Belgians and the rest of Europe weren't bowled over by a 38 ton tractor with a 220 Rolls and a 6-speed ZF, not to mention all those funny Imperial nuts and bolts on it!

More
14 years 3 months ago #20838 by 240 Gardner

Hi Stradair

Thats a fine looking cab, but what a bad wiper setup.
There is a massive unwiped area.

Have you any idea where else this cab was used ?

Cheers
RS :)

Some of them had 3 wipers, which was better. The cab came from Krupp, apparently when they were phasing out commercial vehicle production. You'd have to wonder about the longevity of supply in the unlikely event that it was a commercial success!

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds