Skip to main content

-: Mecanix Facts :-

More
4 years 4 months ago #204836 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-

cobbadog wrote: Had an early Toyota car that used a spin on oil filter that sat upside down. Unscrew the filter and oil ran over the block.

Punch a hole in the top of the filtet
Wait a few minutes and unscrew, the oil will be drained out

Holden Commodore 1 tonners you have to remove the tray to get the fuel filter out of the tank

Got yank the motor to change a thermostat
And the list goes on

No wonder they stopped making them out here

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 4 months ago #204837 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
When U ask "wot size is it"
And someone says " about th@ big"
and holds up their fingers
Now there is a wrench 4 th@

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 4 months ago #204851 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
One fact that anybody who ever worked on anything is, "that any tool or part dropped while working on a vehicle, will ALWAYS roll to the geometric centre of said beast".

More
4 years 4 months ago #204852 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
AMC (Rambler) later V8’s also had the upside down spin on filters, 343-360. At least it was easy to get to to punch a hole and unscrew.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204856 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
You beat me to it Dave. I had Matadors and a 360 Cherokee (oh how I miss that one). I figured it was part of the right hand drive setup, othetwise the oil filter and steering box would have been in the same spot.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204860 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
MrsM,
I hear that. Took me the best part of a weekend to change a thermostat on a Holden Cruze diesel. Had to remove the whole front clip/bumper to access the bolts holding the top radiator cover on. Then the cross piece. At that point I could get a hand on the hose.
Bloody spring type clip, fun getting that off working by feel. Dropped one of the housing bolts that managed to disappear behind the AC compressor. A magnet found that. Glued the seal ring and thermostat to the thermostat housing as it was all working by feel.
Asked the local dealer how long to change one and the said about and hour. Asked how they did it and they said start by taking he air filter housing off as i is under that. I said think you have that wrong it is in the water inlet on the side of the block at the other end. OH we have not done one of those only the other one. Appears these have a couple of stats in them. The bit that really peeved me was I had complained at each service this was very slow to heat and used doing DPF burns at odd times. Guess they did not want the hassle of doing the job as warranty. New stat sorted all that. Seems it needed a minimum temperature before it would do a burn and it rarely get hot enough.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Blackduck59.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
4 years 4 months ago #204861 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
Another goody, Holden Astra.
You have to remove the lower engine mount to replace a fan belt. Not something you would want to have to do on the side of the road.
Again that is a bit of work by feel as you cannot see the bolts even with the wheel off and splash covers removed
Sure love late model vehicles.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204864 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
perkins 4/236 inn the Chamberlain is the same....oil spill might slow the rust.....But good example is my Ford Courier......nothing is do able without a hoist.....the filter was completely hidden,but I use a Perkins filter,which is much longer ,and can be unscrewed from above........the previous model Courier was a "third world ute"and everything could be done from above.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204917 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-

wee-allis wrote: One fact that anybody who ever worked on anything is, "that any tool or part dropped while working on a vehicle, will ALWAYS roll to the geometric centre of said beast".

Unless there was somewhere more inaccessible then that's where it will end up!

We had a 1997 Ford Mondeo for a while. The coolant got changes regularly as for most things you had to pull out off the undertray and remove the lower radiator hose - which had 4 or 5 fingers on the motor end (do 5 or 6 clamps to undo then redo). Might have been easy on the assembly line when the body wasn't in the way!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
4 years 4 months ago #204921 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
Unless that vehicle is a new Volvo and then whatever you have dropped goes into a place called the vortex, a place that can neither be seen nor found and a place from where nothing ever comes back.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds