Skip to main content

Neat arrangement.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211478 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Neat arrangement.
Lang,
Totally agree! But, just as an afterthought to what you say about us all being individuals,
sometimes used to think that the services (especially the Army during Nasho days) must have had a diametrically opposed view!
"You "so and so's" lost all your individuality the minute you walked through that gate! Your ASS belongs to the Army Now!"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211493 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Neat arrangement.
I recall the first 4x4 Acco I bought ,the suspension was incredible for a truck.......pothole that would have busted your back in a Blitz ,the Inter just sailed over them ........IMHO ,the 4x4 s upgraded a little bit with a perkins and a bit stronger diffs ,should still be the army truck........The British discovered very early that a "quad" with big singles was the best go anywhere truck ...........I dont know why the army didnt upgrade the axles for the 6x6s ,the setup they had was just rubbish ,and very prone to failure...................Incidentally ,all have hydraulic brakes ,and use the same interchangeable components,in the main.....Air over hydraulic.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211496 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Neat arrangement.
Bit academic, was only interested if it would add more capacity to the Ford but going by some of the spec's I would not gain much.
One of the sites had a current F350 rated at 8000 GVM with the mods, I have that with currently with the dual rear wheel setup .

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Blackduck59.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago #211498 by JOHN.K.
Precisely...whats the point of all the complication when alls needed is dual wheels on one axle .......entirely for posers ,IMHO.......Incidentally ,there was an old guy in a Ford F450 at the supermarket a week ago ,I kid you not ,it took up four car park spots ..........In the US thse things can take huge trailer loads on just a car rego ........not so here ....trailer weight over 3 ton is commercial rego ,insurance ,licence ,and tow vehicle inspection .

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211511 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Neat arrangement.
I would have been interested in what sort of increase they would have achieved in the lazy axle version of the 6X2, like that HQ tray.
And it was a reasonable size tray going by the photo. Only ever seen one HQ set up with the dual wheels on the rear, and that for a light tow truck. Had the eight stud rear axle, so possibly a Dana 60 or 70 (maybe fell off a Ford or Dodge??
Likewise there is a 6X4 version of a late model Toyota (again a lazy axle) which was set up as a drilling platform, that's where you would have imagined that out in the desert you would need all the traction you could get.
Obviously someone thinks they are a viable proposition, going by a few mobs still making and exporting them.
Just had a squiz on the net about the Perentie, worth a bit of a read. But does make you wonder why the Oz army unloaded them.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211514 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Neat arrangement.
Just because "somebody thinks they are a viable proposition, does not mean they are any good. (I do not know and do not offer any opinion)
A mate of mine, now deceased, ran an engineering works and had a section devoted to making dust removing mats of aluminium strips and wavy rubber strips. He told me they do not work but architects and builders of office buildings think they do, and while there was a demand for them, he would keep making them.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211515 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Neat arrangement.
Like this?

Mucking about on the edge
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211517 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Neat arrangement.
It is not the width that is the problem, it is the length.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211522 by JOHN.K.
The F450 I saw ,the old guy (80+) had two old biddys directing him to try and get around the carpark.....the thing couldnt turn in the painted line corners ,then the old guy couldnt back it.....Not the worst ,a while back there was a giant Mercedes mobile home with a 80 yr old driving,(I use term loosely),and he ended up blocking the entrance and couldnt back up ......and it would have had a reverse camera for sure.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211523 by JOHN.K.
Anyone driven a lazy axle truck knows what happens when you take some of the load of a single driving axle ........you get stuck in all sorts of annoying places...........You need a lift on the lazy ,but maybe a 4x4 with front drive would be ok ......certainly not a HQ .

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds